Sunday, June 14, 2009

SUMMARY, JUNE 8-14, 2009

Daily Quote: "Varying your training spreads the stress around more, so that no particular spot absorbs more than it can handle. The principle is similar to that which is used on some assembly lines, where workers rotate among different specific tasks to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome." --Brad Hudson and Matt Fitzgerald, from their excellent book, "Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach," pg 44.

I've been varying several workouts, such as terrains, distances and even shoes last week and hope to vary more in my future training as well.

8:45 a.m. Recovery Run. 4 miles. Time, 39:30. Overall pace, 9:52 minute miles. Out and back on Alta Road (the main bike route to Red Rock Canyon). Partly Cloudy, 72 degrees, Winds SW at 5 mph. Average heart rate: 143 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 145 bpm. The weather is perfect today and should barely reach 90 degrees...unbelievable weather for Las Vegas in the month of June! I've recovered well and look forward to my hill program tomorrow.

SUMMARY, JUNE 8-14, 2009

Last week ran a total of 38 miles as I continue to peak for the "9th Annual 4th of July 5K Blast". My mileage wasn't too high last week as I continue to improve my quality, hard workouts AND recovering from Checker Cab shift bid. I plan to increase my mileage by 10% next week.

I accomplished three weight sessions last week! The reduced mileage and slow work days gives me enough energy to lift weights after work. I don't know how I will find the time for weight lifting when I start my base building after July 4th.

I somehow managed to gain a pound last week and now I'm 179 pounds on a six foot frame and my goal is still to reach my racing weight of 170 pounds and maintain it for the year. Those last nine pounds are very difficult for me to lose! I don't want to cut back on calories too much as I need food to fuel my hard runs; and I can't add more mileage because I'm currently improving my quality runs. During my upcoming base building phase (after July 4th) I should be able to focus more on losing more body fat.

I've slept soundly for 7-8 hours last week, with the exception of last Tuesday morning as I had to arrive for Checker Cab shift bid at 6:00 a.m. and was only able to sleep for four hours. My morning heart rates last week were erratic, the low being 38 bpm on Friday morning, and the high being Wednesday morning at 50 bpm. Next week I should be able to sleep soundly all seven days.

A short recap of last week's training:
Monday: Recovery Run, 4 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Tuesday: Hill Program, 6 miles.
Wednesday: Recovery Run, 3 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Thursday: Long Run, 13 miles.
Friday: Recovery Run, 4 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Saturday: Intervals, 4 miles.
Sunday: Recovery Run, 4 miles.
Total Weekly Miles: 38 miles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are doing great! Definitely a solid base. I believe quality runs are better than quantity but it looks like you have both going for you.