Monday, June 22, 2009

SUMMARY, JUNE 15-21, 2009

Daily Quote: "The beauty of the 5K is that it takes all comers. It's the perfect introductory distance for novice racers, as well as a challenging test of strength and speed for the most competitive runners. The 5K race can also be a useful part of a larger training program, building speed for runners who primarily run longer distances. No matter what your ability, a hard 5K tests your capacity to maintain a fast pace over distance." --Josh Clark

Only 13 days until the "9th Annual 4th of July 5K Blast" !!

Today my plan is to run a hill program on the gym's treadmill, which challenges me with intervals of multiple hills and valleys with each hill becoming progressively more difficult. Last week I ran this hill program at 6.1 mph, I'm adapting well and will attempt to run it today at 6.2 mph.

8:00 a.m. Life Fitness Treadmill, Hill Program, Level 5 (the highest hill will be at a 5% grade), speed set at 6.2 mph (9:40 minute miles) for 6 miles. Time, 58:00 minutes. Average heart rate, 162 bpm. Cardiac drift, 174 bpm. My right ankle definitely hates hill workouts and was complaining again today, therefore I won't increase my mph nor elevation next week as to allow my body more time to adapt to the stress.

SUMMARY, JUNE 15-21, 2009

Last week ran a total of 43 miles and continued my running streak...the last day I didn't run was February 14th. My training is coming along well and hope to increase my mileage again next week, which will be my last week of hard training before my 5k race taper.

I was still able to complete three weight circuit training sessions this week and find that my upper body strength is definitely stronger. I workout with lighter weights and higher reps as to build strength and not bulk.

I maintained my weight this week at 179 pounds on a six foot frame. My goal is still to reach my racing weight of 170 pounds for the 2009 Rock n' Roll Las Vegas Marathon. I have plenty of time to lose the extra nine pounds and hope to reach my goal weight during summer's base building. I need to focus on eating cleaner on my weekends off as that is when my diet's quality is the weakest.

Due to the time pressures of my job's requirements of a health card, T.A. card and safety class, my sleeping patterns was erratic...some days I was only able to sleep 4-5 hours as I attempt to keep training and fulfill the extra responsibilities along with driving a cab for 12-hours. My morning heart rates reflect the roller coaster sleeping patterns with a low of 39 bpm, and the high of 50 bpm. This week I'll focus on getting more quality sleep.

A short recap of last week's training:
Monday: Hill Program, 6 miles.
Tuesday: Recovery Run, 5 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Wednesday: Long Run, 14 miles.
Thursday: Recovery Run, 4 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Friday: Recovery Run, 4 miles.
Saturday: Intervals, 5 miles.
Sunday: Recovery Run, 5 miles.
Total Weekly Miles: 43 miles.

No comments: