Daily Quote: "Long runs employ extended efforts at easy to moderately hard effort levels to build the bodily infrastructure that the aerobic system needs to work efficiently and extensively. Specifically, long runs increase muscle glycogen storage, resistance t running-related muscle damage and pain, and fat-burning efficiency." --Brad Hudson and Matt Fitzgerald in their excellent book, "Run faster from the 5k to the marathon: how to be your own best coach."
Yesterday was a 5 mile recovery run on the roads with 91 degree temperatures! Now I'm ready for my weekly long run on the treadmill. Today's long run will be a 15 miler, but run at a very easy pace of ten minute miles due to three harder workouts this week. This week is a tough training week, but I keep reminding myself that next week I'll be tapering for the "9th Annual 4th of July 5K Blast" and then I can relax my training.
8:30 a.m. Long Run. 15 miles. Time 2:30. Overall pace, 10 minute miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade and 6.0 mph. Average heart rate: 140 bpm. Cardiac Drift 146 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) A very easy run with heart rates lower than normal, after my 5k race I'll be bumping up my long runs with progression speed at the end of the run. Right ankle feels great, no aches nor pain.
I'm going to visit the library tomorrow for more CD music as my current selection is getting boring. Libraries are no longer just for books!! The West Charleston Branch of the Clark County Library District has video movies, CD music, and internet terminals, running magazines etc. The only problem I have with the local library is remembering to leave before work!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Looks like you will need to update your playlist. ;-)
My buddy Karl is who "coaches" me. You can link up with him through my blog. He is a very experienced and skilled runner. I look forward to reading your blog and I like the idea of checking up on each other! Quality miles my man!
Sounds like an enjoyable run.
I run with an IPOD shuffle, and change the music on it every 2-3 weeks from my collection. If I want really fresh, I download from Jamendo. (100% legally free)
Post a Comment