Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Sandwich Recovery Run

Daily Quote: "General running volume--or how much you run--is the most basic parameter of training and therefore the first parameter that each runner should consider in creating a customized training plan. How many times per week should I run? How many miles per week? How much should my running volume increase from the beginning to the end of my training plan? These are the questions you need to answer before asking any others as you look ahead to your next training cycle." --from Brad Hudson and Matt Fitzgerald's excellent book, "Run Faster."

I'll be starting my next cycle after my July 4th 5k race. Summer is when I do my base building training on the treadmill due to the Las Vegas heat, and I'll be continuing to run seven days a week and slowly increase my mileage by 10% weekly, with a fourth week being a cut-back week. I plan on starting running a little higher mileage than 50 miles like last summer, but will strive to start at 55 miles in July and ending with about 75 miles by September. September I'll start my Las Vegas Marathon training.

Today's run is sandwiched between two hard runs, yesterday's hill workout and tomorrow's long run, hence today calls for a very easy, short, recovery run.

8:00 a.m. Recovery Run. 4 miles. Time, 39:22. Overall pace, 9:50 minute miles. Out and back on HWY 95 side trail (between Jones Blvd and Rainbow Blvd). Partly cloudy, cooler, 75 degrees with winds SW at 8 mph. Average heart rate: 140 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 146 bpm. Body didn't suffer any after effects from yesterday's hill workout and didn't feel any aches nor pain with today's run. Shoes: Nike Air Structure.

I'm good to go for tomorrow's Long Run, which I plan on shortening to 12 miles this week due to adding another hard workout in my schedule.

No comments: