Daily Quote: "Wearing a heart-rate monitor on your easy runs is a good way to keep yourself honest. By wearing a heart-rate monitor regularly in your training, you will gain accurate knowledge of the heart-rate range that is associated with a moderately easy effort. When you set out on an easy run, control your pace to keep your heart rate within that range. Your restraint will pay off the next time you're supposed to run hard." --Brad Hudson and Matt Fitzgerald, from the excellent book, "Run Faster From the 5k To the Marathon" How To Be Your Own Best Coach."
I've been pretty consistent about wearing my Polar Heart Rate Monitor on my recovery runs, I find the heart-rate monitor invaluable during that last half-mile when I'm like a horse who senses the barn door and wants to sprint home. Today is a very easy recovery run as it's sandwiched between yesterday's interval run and tomorrow's hill program.
8:00 a.m. Recovery Run. 4 miles. Time, 39:22. Overall pace, 9:50 minute miles. Out and back on Alta Road (the main bike route to Red Rock Canyon). Partly Cloudy, 70 degrees, Winds SW at 5 mph. Average heart rate: 142 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 146 bpm. Legs are still a little tired from yesterday's interval workout, but no aches nor soreness and should be o.k. for tomorrow's hill program. Shoes: Nike Air Structures.
SUMMARY, JUNE 1-7 2009.
Last week ran a total of 39 miles as I continue to peak for the "9th Annual 4th of July 5K Blast". My mileage for the month of June will be relatively lower as I continue to increase the quality of my workouts. I've continued my running streak and still running seven days a week. Last week I've continued with three hard workouts, consisting of the long run, hill program and now intervals.
I accomplished two weight sessions last week The reduced mileage gives me enough energy to lift weights after work. I hope to increase my weight lifting to three sessions next week depending on my energy level.
I'm currently 178 pounds on a six foot frame and my goal is to reach my racing weight of 170 pounds and maintain it for the year. I've been eating more plant protein and almost totally eliminated animal protein. Becoming a vegetarian is harder than anticipated.
I've slept soundly for 7-8 hours last week and my morning heart rates were good, 38-41 bpm. Next Tuesday morning at 6:00 a.m. is Checker Cab shift bid and will only be able to sleep for five hours.
A short recap of last week's training:
Monday: Hill Program, 6 miles.
Tuesday: Recovery Run, 4 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Wednesday: Long Run, 12 miles.
Thursday: Recovery Run, 4 miles.
Friday: Recovery Run, 5 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Saturday: Intervals, 4 miles.
Sunday: Recovery Run, 4 miles.
Total Weekly Miles: 39 miles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I am down and out as I have sustained a case of Plantar Fasciitis! I am running (a little) and contrary to my Doctor's request. But I am bicycling to stay in shape.
I am hoping to run the RnR las Vegas Half Marathon this year in December and maybe meet you this year!
Wow, Bruce, you ARE a runner!
Post a Comment