Saturday, June 27, 2009

Last Intervals Before 5k Race

Daily Quote: "Full of incredible characters, amazing athletic achievements, cutting-edge science, and, most of all pure inspiration, 'Born to Run' is an epic adventure that began with one simple question: Why does my foot hurt? In search of an answer, Christopher McDougall sets off to find a tribe of the world's greatest distance runners and learn their secrets, and in the process shows us that everything we thought we knew about running is wrong." --Book jacket on Christopher McDougall's book, "Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen."

Yesterday visited the library and checked out the above book, "Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen (Call Number: F1221 .T25 M42 2009b) and it's a real page turner...already have read half the book during Friday's work shift! I'll give a few more insights of the book during this upcoming week.

My main purpose of visiting the library was to check out some more music CD's for my upcoming treadmill training. I thrive to listen to music I've never heard before and I checked out the following music:
  • The Corrs, "Home."
  • JJ CALE, "Roll On."
  • Cat Power, "Jukebox."

The last two days were Recovery Runs from Wednesday's long run, and now prepared to run my last interval workout before the race, "9th Annual 4th of July 5K Blast", which is only one week away!

8:00 a.m. 6 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. Warmup: 1.5 mile at 6.0 mph (10 minute mile pace). Intervals: 6 x .50 mile at 8.3 mph (7:13 minute per mile pace). Jog Intervals: .25 mile at 6.0 mph. Cooldown: 1.75 mile at 6.0 mph. Average heart rate 160 bpm. Cardiac drift: 186 bpm. (Note, my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) Shoes: ASICS DS Trainers.

It has been a long time since I pushed myself so hard! I was huffing and puffing during the fifth interval and wasn't so sure about starting the sixth interval as during the recovery jog my heart rate was only down to 171 bpm...pushed myself and was thrilled with what I had accomplished! My body feels great, no aches nor pain and right ankle feels 100% I'm now prepared and very eager for my upcoming 5k race!

No comments: