Saturday, June 20, 2009

Fifth Speed Interval

Daily Quote: "Bart (Yasso) begins running his Yasso 800s a couple of months before his goal marathon. The first week he does four. On each subsequent week, he adds one more until he reaches 10. The last workout of Yasso 800s should be completed at least 10 days before your marathon, and 14 to 17 days would probably be better." --Amby Burfoot, "Yasso 800s" runnersworld.com article.

I find the above quote interesting since I'm already doing half-mile intervals (treadmill doesn't have a meter loop) for my current 5k training...maybe I could use these half-mile intervals in the fall for my December marathon? Since my goal is to finish the marathon in 3:30, my half-mile intervals should be 3:30 minutes per lap.

Last week I accomplished four half-mile intervals, today I plan on increasing to five intervals with the same 8.3 mph speed, which is my 5k speed of 7:13 minute per mile pace.


8:30 a.m. 5 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. Warmup: 1.5 mile at 6.0 mph (10 minute mile pace). Intervals: 5 x .50 mile at 8.3 mph (7:13 minute per mile pace). Jog Intervals: .25 mile at 6.0 mph. Cooldown: 1.25 mile at 6.0 mph. Average heart rate 157 bpm. Cardiac drift: 183 bpm. (Note, my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) Shoes: ASICS DS Trainers.

Very tough workout and during the last, fifth interval, wondered if I was going to be able to complete my plan as I was struggling, but I was able to hang tough and finish my workout. Right ankle did complain a little after my run, and will pamper it throughout the weekend with icing and elevation.

I've been lax in my blogging lately due to the pressures at work, or should I say, for work. My seniority date is on June 20th and must complete the following requirements, which I did finish during last week:
  • Annual Physical for Health Card. Spent three hours last Tuesday completing my physical, I'm in great shape and can continue to drive (I have 20/20 vision without glasses, can hear whispers, my blood pressure is 117/77, gave urine sample and passed the drug test, able to do squats, and can lift 50 pounds easily. Cost: $57.00
  • T.A. Permit. Took two hours on Wednesday getting my Taxicab Authority Permit. Waited in line with 25 other drivers. Gave the T.A a copy of my new health card, authorized the T.A. to do a background check of any arrests. T.A. clerk takes a photo of me for my new card. I also was scheduled for my annual cab safety class for July 8th, which usually lasts three hours. Cost $10.00
  • DMV Report. Gave Checker Cab Company a copy of my DMV report for any tickets I may have received in the last year. Took only minutes to achieve getting a DMV copy via the internet. Cost $5.00.

All Las Vegas cab drivers have to complete the above requirements along with working their 12-hour shifts, which is our version of "hell week!"

No comments: