Saturday, June 6, 2009

Tough Intervals

Daily Quote: "Short intervals let you train at a higher intensity, but if you're new to speedwork, start with 800s. You'll be less likely to run too fast and overtrain." --Matt Centrowitz, head track and cross-country coach at American University in Washington, D.C.

I rediscovered the above quote that was tucked into my 2007 logbook, which was torn from an article called, "Get Up To Speed," by Jim Hage in Runners World Magazine, April 2007. During that spring the 800's were my bread and butter speed workout, but my gym's treadmill laps was set for mileage and not for meters, hence the half-milers were the closest equivalent to 800s. Today is a return to a workout that's a blast from my past!!

8:30 a.m. 4 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. Warmup: 1 mile at 6.0 mph (10 minute mile pace). Intervals: 4 x .50 mile at 8.3 mph (7:13 minute per mile pace). Jog Intervals: .25 mile at 6.0 mph. Cooldown: 1.25 mile at 6.0 mph. Average heart rate 156 bpm. Cardiac drift: 186 bpm (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm. During the last interval I was gasping for breath and highly unlikely I could continue another interval...geez, am I ever out of shape!! Shoes: New Balance 720.

Decades of studies show that high-intensity training with workouts getting the heart rate to 90 percent of maximum heart rate builds speed, improves running economy, and boosts overall endurance. I need to bring my heart rate down further as to avoid burn-out and overtraining. I should be able to lower my heart rate a little by wearing my racing shoes, ASICS DS Trainers, during next week's speedwork. I was hoping to reserve my racing shoes for only races as they wear out faster than my heavier stability training shoes and I really can't afford replacing them on a regular basis, but I want to make the most out of my training too.

I had plans next Saturday to increase my workout by one interval, but after my heart pumping workout have decided to duplicate today's four intervals next week and hope my body has adapted somewhat to the effort.

No comments: