Daily Quote: "As you're doing a long run, remind yourself that it's not easy to train for a long-distance event. If it were, everyone would do it, right? Remind yourself that you're taking on a challenge and the difficulties you face will make your accomplishment all the more worthwhile in the end." --Christine Luff, about.com running/jogging guide.
It's getting too hot for me to accomplish my long runs on the roads, therefore I'm back to running my long runs on the treadmill. Today I'm not running my usual 15 miler, but have cut-back to 12 miles because I've added a third hard workout on my schedule this week and don't wish to push myself into an injury, better to allow my body to slowly adjust to the extra stress.
8:00 a.m. 12 miles. Time. 2:00. Overall pace, 10 minute miles. 24 Hour Fitness at Alta/Rainbow Blvd. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade and 6.0 mph. Average heart rate: 144 bpm. Cardiac Drift, 151 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) Run was very slow and easy; I felt like I could have ran all day at this effort, I'll ramp up the speed to 6.1 mph next week. I need to start bringing my Sony CD Player to the gym as the electronic elevator music played over the gym's speakers drives me nuts.
My next two days are recovery runs on the roads, and Saturday will be an interval workout on the treadmill.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Hey Bruce! It sounds like you training is going really well. When is your next race??
Howdy Sarah! My next race is on July 4th, a hot 5k race on a flat, fast course
Wow. I don't know how you do it. Running that far on a treadmill takes dedication! You rock!
HOW does one run 12 miles on a treadmill?????????? I would lose my mind!
Howdy Rookie on the Run and Dustie, I've been doing my long runs on the treadmill out of necessity for many Las Vegas summers now and you would be surprised at how quickly the body can adjust, sometimes the mind is a different matter...just one step after another, sometimes utilizing music, or the t.v. monitors, or just trying to disassociate with day dreaming or totally spacing out. I'll be back on the roads in September, although for the rest of June I'll be running shorter recovery runs in the heat as to acclimate for my July 4th 5k race.
I ran outside the other day and it was too hot! But I just can't bring myself to run on a treadmill.
Hey, I'm flying into Vegas on June 25th to see my sister in Kingman, Az. We are going to hang out in Vegas first that evening.
Hey dude.. it is 60 degrees and cloudy overcast here in New Jersey. Is that too hot for you? *wink*
Keep it up with your training !!! I can only go up to 4 miles on treadmill. That's it. I just don't know how you can do this for two hours.
Hey! Do you put the treadmill on an incline of 1% or do you leave it as is? I have heard to put it up between 1-2%, but honestly, I feel like I already run slower on a treadmill than I do outside. I am sure it's all mental, but is it really necessary to get the same workout? I am training for my first marathon and the crazy snow this season has forced me indoors for a few of my long runs...I just want to be sure I'm as prepared as I can be. I do get most of them outside. Any advice??
Post a Comment