Daily Quote: "It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys." -- Emil Zatopek
Today was a Lactate Threshold Run.
8 miles. Time, 1:04. Average Pace, 8:00 minute miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% Grade. Warmup: 1 mile @ 6.6 mph (9:06 minute mile). Lactate Threshold: 6 miles @ 7.7 mph (7:48 minute miles)!! Cooldown: 1 mile @ 6.6 mph. Average heart rate: 158 bpm. Cardiac drift: 166 bpm!!
I did the exact same workout last week, the same treadmill, the same warmup, the same tempo speed and the same cooldown...BUT, my heart rate is five beats less on the average heart rate AND the cardiac drift!!! I believe my body has adapted to 7.7 mph and could have gone faster. I hope I have this speed for the Salt Lake City Half Marathon on April 21st and I'm not peaking too early.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
The secret to peaking on race day is to get the correct balance between rest and workouts in your taper. Too hard of workouts means you'll peak early. Too much rest means you'll peak late. Just right rest means you'll peak on race day, but it's hard to know what is "just right" :(
I'm still striving to create the perfect "taper" and it's both an art and science! Balance is everything. I also need to get more sleep!!! I'll be starting my two week taper today.
Post a Comment