Sunday, April 1, 2007

One Week Before Taper

Daily Quote: "If you love what you do you never have to go to work." --Jacques Pepin

Only one more week before I begin my two week taper for the "Salt Lake City Half Marathon" on April 21st. My plan is a 30% taper during the 2nd Week Pre-Race, and then the following Race Week a 50% taper as suggested by Pete Pfitzinger in his article "The Rest is Up to You" (Running Times Magazine, April 2007, pg 16.)

Pfitzinger also says in the above article, "Some running articles recommend increasing the amount of speed work during the taper. I believe that this is risky due to the high lactate levels from these types of workouts and the relatively long recovery times required. An approach that leads to more consistent results is to maintain your interval speed but reduce the volume of intervals." Therefore, that'll be my own plan during the upcoming taper.

Today is a Recovery Run.
6 miles. Time, 56 minutes. Pace, 9:20 minute miles. Out and back on Lanning Route. Sunny, 77 degrees, Wind N @ 7 mph. No heart rate monitor today. My left ankle feels much better today, just a twinge of soreness at the beginning of this morning's run; the real test for my ankle will be tomorrow's Long Run.

I need to run earlier than my usual 10:00 a.m. start as the weather will reach 90 degrees this week! Cleaned my camelbak today as I'll be wearing it every day this week.

No comments: