Saturday, April 14, 2007

SUMMARY: WEEK 15

Daily Quote: "The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

Today is my last interval workout before the Salt Lake City Half Marathon next Saturday!
5 miles. Time, 50 minutes. Average Pace, 8:20 minutes. Life Fitness Treadmill, 1% grade. Warmup: 1 mile at 6.6 mph (9:06 minute miles). Intervals: 3 x 1 mile at 7.8 mph (7:42 minute miles). Recovery intervals: 1/4 mile at 6.6 mph. Cooldown: 1 1/2 miles at 6.6 mph. Average heart rate: 161 bpm. Cardiac drift: 175 bpm. I feel strong and ready for my race!

SUMMARY FOR APRIL 8-14, 2007

Last week was my first week of tapering for the Salt Lake City Half Marathon and ran a little too much mileage, which was 46 mpw. I continued to run seven days a week, but should have taken a total rest day as to help reduce my mileage and to recover fully before the half marathon. This coming week I'll do better at tapering as I plan to follow the exact same tapering schedule of last August's "Great Salt Lake Half Marathon," which was a 50% taper for race week.

My weight today is 173 pounds on a six foot frame, BUT last Monday my weight ballooned to 177 pounds from the Easter holiday weekend feasting!! Last August my weight for the "Great Salt Lake Half Marathon" was 170 pounds...I'll probably be slightly heavier for the upcomng Salt Lake City Half Marathon and should be interesting to see how I fare with my extra weight.

My morning heart rates are still good, 40-43 bpm. My sleeping has been suffering due to my ongoing battle with allergies...undoubtedly due to the Mulberry trees. Allen had sent me an e-mail mentioning I should bring allergy medicine to Salt Lake City due their pollen....I'll be taking allergy medicine throughout this week anyway and will be prepared for Salt Lake City's pollen!!

A short recap of last week's mileage:
Sunday: Recovery Run, 6 miles.
Monday: Long Run, 13 miles.
Tuesday: Recovery Run, 6 miles.
Wednesday: Easy Run, 5 miles.
Thursday: Easy Run, 5 miles.
Friday: Easy Run, 5 miles.
Saturday: Intervals, 6 miles.
Total miles: 46 miles.

Low highlight of the week: Discovering I had a four pound weight gain during the holiday weekend feasting!

Highlight of the week: Celebrating Easter with friends and family!!

4 comments:

Robert said...

I'm not sure what's worse, my alergies, or the post-medicine drain I always feel. Good luck with managing your alergies in SLC this weekend, Bruce. I'll be looking for the race report.

Tall Girl Running said...

Salt Lake City... here we come!!

Nat said...

7lbs on a 6' frame is nothing. You'll do awesome.

What's next? Your summer marathon sessions on the mill at your all night gym?

Nat said...

Uhm I meant 3lbs.