Daily Quote: "DO NOT go out too fast on this course. There is quite a bit of flat to downhill before you get to Heartbreak Hill and there is a tendency for better runners to think the course is easy. Then when they get to the hills, they basically hit the wall. Be prepared for the long downhill after the Heartbreak Hill section. Pacing yourself will do wonders and you will feel stronger as you come into the heart of Boston. The crowds will definitely carry you through this race and inspire you more than any other race." --Gayle Barron, 1978 Women's Boston Marathon Champion
Today is a Tempo Run as scheduled in the book, "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster."
8:20 a.m. Life Fitness Treadmill set at 1% Grade. 7 miles total. Warm-up, 1 mile at 6.0 mph (10 minute mile). Tempo, 5 miles at 7.2 mph (8:20 minute mile pace). Cool-down, 1 mile at 6.0 mph. Average heart rate: 157 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 171 bpm. This week's tempo run was longer than last week's two miler, but it was also slower at 8:20 minute per mile pace, hence it did feel easier...or maybe it felt easier as I'm getting fitter?!?
15 Weeks Until Boston Report
Finished first week of Boston Marathon Training and ran a grand total of 25 miles!?! I'm following the guidelines of "FIRST Training Program" as explained in "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster" book. Quite frankly, I'm more than a little worried that the small mileage and quality cross-training will help me run faster in Boston, but will continue with this experiment.
I've added another pound last week, I'm now 177 pounds and has been several years since I've been this heavy. MUST eat a cleaner diet with fewer calories next week. I've been reading a few testimonials about plant based diets and the book, "The China Study," which I would like to purchase soon.
I've accomplished three weight circuit training session this week and plan on changing some of my machine routines for free weights.
With the exception for Wednesday, I slept well, averaging 7-8 hours of sleep daily. Wednesday squeezed in my Long Run by cutting my sleep to six hours, hopefully I'll be able to sleep longer on Wednesdays. My morning heart rates have remained low, 38-41 bpm.
A short recap of last week's training:
Sunday: Weight Circuit Training.
Monday: Tempo Run, 6 miles.
Tuesday: Cross-training, cycle.
Wednesday: Long Run, 13 miles.
Thursday: A.M. Weight Circuit Training. Later A.M. Cross-training, cycle.
Friday: Intervals, 6 miles.
Saturday: Rest Day.
Sunday: Weight Circuit Training AND Cross-training, cycle.
Total weekly mileage: 25 miles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment