Daily Quote: "Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer." --Percy Cerutty, Legendary Australian running coach.
Today's workout is from "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster" book, pg 235, 3:40 Goal, Marathon Training Program, which is:
1 mile warmup
4x800m @ 3:23 (2 minute recovery interval)
10 minute cooldown.
11:00 a.m. Life Fitness Treadmill set at 1% grade. Warm-up: 1 mile at 6.0 mph (10 minute mile). Tempo: 4 x 800 at 8.2 mph (7:19 minute miles) 2 minute recovery interval at 6.0 mph. Cool-down: 1:30 mile (odd distance as I wanted to complete an even 5 miles). Cardiac Drift: 182 bpm! Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm.
Tough workout, but easier than last week's 3 x 1600m @ 7:02 minute miles with only a 1 minute recovery interval...my cardiac drift then was a whopping 188 bpm. Today's two minute rest interval helped wonders!! Also, total speed distance today was only 2/3 from last week's distance. I could have easily raised the speed to 8.3 mph (7:14 minute miles) and my cardiac drift would still be below last week's 188 bpm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Bruce,
I am interested on how you feel your interval work went on the treadmill? Do feel it was quality? Were you able to get your heart rate to an acceptable level fairly easy? What percentage of your heart rate where you shooting for in this workout? Did you have the treadmill adjust your speed for you, or did you do it manually?
Howdy Easy Runner! The effort was hard, about 92-97% of my Maximum heart rate, which was what the interval workout was designed to do...which was to reach anaerobic stage. The speed sessions are predetermined from the book, "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster," and pace for intervals was based on my last 5k race (the book has pace charts based on your pace.) The Life Fitness Treadmill does have a "interval setting" where all I need to do is set the "jog pace" and "interval pace" and just push a button when I want to toggle between paces...pretty easy to do even when I'm in oxygen debt.
Post a Comment