Wednesday, January 2, 2008

"FIRST" Long Run

Daily Quote: It's (FIRST training program) a great training program in my opinion...it helped me out a lot in speed as well as endurance with no training related injuries. --Charlie, of "Running Nowhere Fast."

Today is FIRST Training Program's 16th week Long Run, which is a scheduled 13 miles at marathon pace, plus 30 seconds per mile. My Boston Marathon goal is 3:40, that's 8:23 minute per mile pace. Therefore, today's Long Run will be at 8:49 minute per mile pace, or 6.8 mph on the treadmill (ideally would be a 8:53 minute mile pace, but the treadmill can't get that exact with the speed, four seconds per mile faster shouldn't kill me).

10:00 a.m. Life Fitness Treadmill set at 1% grade and 6.8 mph. 13 miles! Average heart rate: 165 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 177 bpm. I'm a bit out of shape and my heart rate reflects that fact, the last mile was the hardest as I kept fighting negative thoughts to quit...I perservered and felt euphoric after the run!

This is my longest run since the marathon and much faster than last week's 12 miler that was on the roads. I prefer to run my hard workouts on the treadmill as I can control all the variables.

Charlie has warned me about my upcoming Friday's interval session and says, "I hate to be bearer of bad news but I found the tempo and long runs are the easier sessions in the FIRST program...wait till you get to the Speed Intervals...they are killers!" I'm such an old geezer that I know that my fast twitch muscles are barely there, which is why I prefer the longer, slower paced runs as I have abundant slow twitch muscles...that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

No comments: