Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Intervals Improvement

Daily Quote: "Gossip is news running ahead of itself in a red satin dress." --Liz Smith

Today's workout is Speed Intervals.
8 miles. Time, 1:08. Average pace, 8:30 minute miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. Warmup: 2 miles @ 6.5 mph (9:14 minute mile pace). Intervals 6 x 1/2 miles @ 8.6 mph (6:59 minute mile pace). Jog intervals, 1/4 mile @ 6.0 mph. Cooldown: 2 miles @ 6.5 mph. Average heart rate: 154 bpm. Cardiac drift: 177 bpm. Felt strong after sixth interval and could have done an additional interval, but decided to stay with my plan.

Today's training boosted my confidence for my upcoming race! I've shown definite improvements from last week's intervals. Last week I could only do five intervals because my heart rate was too high during the last rest jog interval, this week my heart rate was in the -75% zone for recovery interval. My average heart rate last week was 158 bpm, this week four beats lower; and my cardiac drift last week was 182 bpm, this week 177 bpm, five beats lower. I only have 10 days until "Come Catch a Leprechaun 5k" and I'm ready!!

The weather in Las Vegas has been warm, this weekend's forcast will have a high in the mid 80's!! I'll need to start running earlier in the morning.

1 comment:

AddictedToEndorphins said...

Sounds like your ready!!!

I must say i am jealous of your weather!!