Daily Quote: "Long runs are crucial for success at completing the marathon, but to successfully accomplish a time goal, specific runs at goal pace should be performed to distances upward of 10 miles--usually every two weeks." --Kevin Polin, Marathon and Beyond Magazine, March/April 2009, pg 31.
I'll be adding more marathon goal pace miles, in my case 8 minute miles, throughout the next 11 weeks. My current strategy has been to run the first half of a long run at an easy progressive pace and the second half add marathon pace miles, thereby getting the benefits of both distance and pace.
Hectic weekend as I helped Cameron's family move their belongings, therefore I shuffled my Medium-Long Run to Sunday and ran an Easy Recovery Run on Saturday. I stubbed my big left toe moving furniture and it's still sore, I don't think it's broken or I wouldn't still be able to run on it...will keep a close eye on the toe.
8:15 a.m. Medium-Long Run, Progressive. 14 miles. Time, 2:04. Overall pace, 8:51 minute miles. 24 Hour Fitness at Rainbow and Alta. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 6 miles at 6.5 mph (9:14 minute miles), 5 miles at 6.6 mph (9:06 minute miles), last three miles at 7.5 mph (8.0 mph). Average heart rate: 151 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 160 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) Shoes: Nike Air Structures. Drank 32 ounces of Cytomax during run.
Tough run as I was still sore and tired from helping Cameron move yesterday. Next week should be easier, I'll repeat the 14 miler, but add another marathon pace mile.
SUMMARY, SEPTEMBER 14-20, 2009
Finished my sixth week of marathon training and ran a total of 67 miles, which is my highest weekly mileage this year! I've continued my running streak and haven't had a day without running since February 14th. I plan to increase my mileage slightly next week and add marathon pace miles during my Long Run and Medium-Long Runs. Only 11 weeks until the 2009 RNR Las Vegas Marathon!
I maintained my weight of 169 pounds on my six foot frame, which is surprising considering my high mileage, I must be eating too many calories during the weekend again. My new weight goal is to reach 165 pounds for my upcoming marathon on December 6th, which is approaching quickly.
I accomplished two weight circuit sessions last week, but lifting furniture and appliances during the weekend definitely feels like additional weight workouts! It's getting more difficult to find the time and energy to continue my weight circuit training and may temporary cease weight training until after the marathon.
My sleeping patterns have been erratic due to my extra activities, chores, and errands, most days I've only been able to sleep 5-6 hours. My morning heart rates are higher and reflects the extra stress I've been putting on my body. My heart rates have been all over the place from a low of 38 bpm on Wednesday morning to a high of 55 bpm on Sunday morning. Hopefully this coming week I'll be able to return to my usual sleeping routine.
A short recap of last week's training:
Monday: Lactate Threshold Run, 8 miles.
Tuesday: Recovery Run, 6 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Wednesday: Long Run, 20 miles.
Thursday: Recovery Run, 6 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Friday: General Aerobic Run, 7 miles.
Saturday: Recovery Run, 6 miles.
Sunday: Medium-Long Run, 14 miles.
Total Weekly Mileage: 67 miles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment