Saturday, September 12, 2009

Set Challenging Goals

Daily Quote: "Ryan Hall's goal last spring was to be the first American man in 25 years to win the Boston Marathon. Deena Kastor's goal this fall is to win the Chicago Marathon just longer than a year after having a broken foot. Mahon wants his runners to set goals that make them stretch themselves, to have to try something they haven't done before. When setting specific goals, aim a little bit higher than might seem reasonable. Or, as the Mammoth group's Web site (Mammoth Track Club) puts it, elevate your expectations." --Scott Douglas, Running Times Magazine, October 2009, sidebar article "Little Lessons From Mammoth," pg 39.

My challenging goal that is a little bit higher than might seem reasonable is a sub 3:30 marathon this December 6th, which is 8:00 minute miles. Considering my marathon personal record is 3:44:58 (BQ) set during the "New Las Vegas Marathon" on December 2007 it will definitely be challenging as I'll need to knock off 14 minutes off my marathon time, or 32 seconds per mile!" My secondary goal would be my marathon personal record, the third goal finishing under four hours.

Today's will be a Medium-Long Run, which will be a little different as I'll be tacking on two marathon pace miles during the run.

8:00 a.m. Medium-Long Run, Progressive. 13 miles. Time, 1:56. 24 Hour Fitness at Rainbow and Alta. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 6 miles at 6.5 mph (9:14 minute miles), 5 miles at 6.6 mph (9:06 minute miles, last two miles at 7.5 mph (8.0 mph). Average heart rate: 151 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 160 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) Shoes: Nike Air Structures. Drank 32 ounces of Cytomax during run.

Tough run! No aches nor pain, but I felt pretty weak during that last marathon paced mile and wondered how in the world am I going to accomplish a sub 3:30 marathon time in December...I hope that adding more marathon pace miles during the next 13 weeks will help my body to adapt for that challenging goal.

Las Vegas is having a hot September! Last year I had already started incorporating road runs with my Recovery Runs, but this weekend it's still too hot for me to get off the treadmill...today's forecast: "Mostly sunny. Highs around 108. Light wind becoming south around 10 mph in the afternoon." The forecast for the rest of the week is cooler, with highs around the mid 90's...maybe next week I'll incorporate my Recovery Runs on the roads??? I'm very anxious to getting started with my training on the roads!

1 comment:

lifestudent said...

Wow! That is HOT! Maybe you guys are taking all of the heat that we normally get in the late summer :)

Good luck with getting out onto the roads ... it will happen!