Daily Quote: "Negative split workouts can help meet three important training objectives: First, they develop the self-discipline needed to not run too fast at the beginning when it feels "so easy" and "too slow. Second, they develop the mental toughness needed to run faster when getting tired at the end of the race. Finally, they develop the wisdom needed to avoid the false prophets dressed in jackrabbit singlets." --Roy Benson, Running Times Magazine, in the article "Avoid the Zero to 60 Mad Dash," October 2009, pg 28.
I learned about negative split workouts four years ago from the book, "Advanced Marathoning," by Pfitzinger and Douglas, which helped me achieve two Boston Qualifiers...although in shorter races like the 5k I still tend to start too fast.
I feel very strong this week as last week was a cut-back week and today I'm full of energy, what better time for my first 20-miler of the year?!?
7:30 a.m. Long Run, Progressive. Time, 2:59. Overall pace, 8:58 minute miles. 24 Hour Fitness, Alta and Rainbow Ave. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 6 miles at 6.6 mph (9:06 minute miles), 6 miles at 6.7 mph (8:57 minute miles), last 8 miles at 6.8 mph (8:49 minute miles). Average heart rate: 150 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 158 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm.) Shoes: Nike Air Structures. Drank 40 ounces of Cytomax during run.
Body feels very tired and right ankle complained slightly during the last two miles, but overall a very successful workout. I'm going to need to visit the library soon and check out different tunes for my CD player as I'm already burned out on last week's selections.
The next two days I'm planning Recovery Runs as it takes my body that long to fully recover from a hard Long Run; hopefully I'll be fully recovered by Saturday, which will be my next hard workout, a Medium-Long Run.
Next Wednesday I plan another 20-miler, but include two marathon pace miles (8:00 minute miles) at the end of the run.
I need to rush to work, thankfully Wednesday is a very slow workday for us cabbies, although 12-hour shifts are a long day no matter how slow the cab business.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment