Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Faster 20 Miler

Daily Quote: "Mentally break your course into smaller sections. Your 15-mile run will feel much more doable if you break it into three five-mile segments. Once you get to the 12 mile mark of an 18-mile run, think to yourself, "OK, just under 10K from here." --Christine Luff, about.com running guide, from her article "Tips To Make Your Long Run Easier."

I run out and back for my Long Runs and often use the above mental trick for the last 6 miles of my long runs...I'm like a horse racing back to the barn.

Today is almost a repeat of last Wednesday's Long Run, with the exception of the last two miles at marathon pace!

7:30 a.m. Long Run, Progressive. Time, 2:55. Overall pace, 8:45 minute miles. 24 Hour Fitness, Alta and Rainbow Ave. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 6 miles at 6.6 mph (9:06 minute miles), 6 miles at 6.7 mph (8:57 minute miles), 6 miles at 6.8 mph (8:49 minute miles) and last two miles at marathon pace of 7.5 mph (8:00 minute miles). Average heart rate: 153 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 162 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm.) Shoes: Nike Air Structures. Drank 40 ounces of Cytomax during run.

Body feels great with no aches nor pain. Those last two miles at marathon pace were tough and makes me wonder how I'm going to continue this pace for 26.2 miles...must trust my training and rely a little on race day magic.

I'm totally exhausted and need to eat a little something before work. How I wish I didn't have to drive a cab for the next twelve hours.

Next Wednesday I'm planning on cutting back to 18 miles, but add more marathon pace miles.

1 comment:

Sherri said...

that's amazing. you are an inspiration!