Daily Quote: "(Paula) Radcliffe has had almost as many injuries as trophies in her career. From stress fractures to hernias, exercise-induced asthma to anemia to hematomas, she has had it all. Her body is not a temple; it is a hospital." --Liz Robbins, from her book, "A Race Like No Other; 26.2 Miles Through the Streets of New York, pg 162.
I found the above quote very cute, indeed my own body is more like a hospital and a mental ward! Running throughout the years has kept my depression under control without the expense of drugs...I need to find another manner to help alleviate my depression, walking just isn't strenuous enough to balance my mind's chemicals. The above quote is gratifying as well, if Paula can return to being an elite runner with so many physical problems in the past, I can conquer my sore right knee as well.
Today I'm not running at all, especially after yesterday's discouraging workout that resulted with knee pain at 1.7 miles of running. For now, walking will be my mainstay for aerobic exercise.
8:15 a.m. 24-Hour Fitness Club, Rainbow/Alta location. Life Fitness Treadmill set at no grade. One hour of walking at 4.0 mph (15 minute per mile pace). BORING! Need to bring my Sony Sports CD Player tomorrow.
After walking I did my usual weight circuit training that last 30 minutes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
Paula Radcliffe is truly an amazing athlete, someone I really admire. And as to your difficult workout yesterday, remember-baby steps, baby steps!
Wow, this is a nagging injury. Agreed, don't rush it. Cross-training is difficult for those who love to run on their feet and try to adjust to breathing in water or through mechanical propulsion. Running feels so much more natural but I've grown to appreciate the efforts it takes for swimming and cycling.
I understand Vegas Marathon is run by the Rock 'n' Roll group. What do you think about getting a group of bloggers together to run this event?
To follow-up on the subject of bloggers running the '09 Vegas Marathon next year, I thought it would be pretty cool for a blogging group to be collectively writing about the '09 Vegas Marathon event -- our training, travel, eventual meeting of people from across the nation that we only know from our blogs, a get to know you pre-race dinner, running the event and an after party of sorts. Being Vegas is your home town, what do you think?
Howdy Running Bob! Having a blogger get-together for the next Las Vegas Marathon would be a GREAT idea, but I don't know how practical this would be for the East Coasters, especially in such a poor economy. It is something to think about.
Just take it easy. I can relate to the running reducing depression. I never really get depressed except when I don't/can't run. Hang in there!
Since the Las Vegas Marathon will be my first, I'm up for a "blogfest" and a chance to meet some of my fellow bloggers!
Howdy Tanya, Well with you that means we now have a total of three (Running Bob, you, and myself!) for the 2009 Las Vegas Marathon blogfest!
Wow, what a lot of patience you need at the moment!!!
Take care of your knee... lots of hugs for Christmas !!!
Great quote. Just take things easy. We all need a break and down time every now and then.
Agreed, depending upon the economy Vegas marathon may be difficult for the east coasters. I, too, have scaled back my running plans but thought is a great, central location which is easily serviced by many airlines. Who knows? They may be offering great deals on flights and hotels to get people in the rooms! I thought it may get a regional draw as driving to Vegas isn't bad either, especially with 1.69/gallon gas. Seriously think about it. I'll email/post some ideas over the week-end.
oh man, sorry your knee is still bothering you.
Post a Comment