Saturday, December 6, 2008

Sore Knee

Disaster has struck.

Last night was a busy work night for us cab drivers as many cowboys were coming to Vegas for the National Finals Rodeo, hence I took my cab to load at the airport as many times as I could.

Around 6:00 p.m. I had two cowgirls at my cue with about 10 pieces of luggage and as I attempted to load their luggage, one cowgirl tried to help me squeeze luggage in the trunk as the other cowgirl swung more luggage towards the rear of my cab...she then accidentally whacked my right knee with a heavy bag.

At the time I didn't notice any pain until after the ride and unloaded the cab...discovered I couldn't bend my knees without sharp pain. My right knee has no bruises, nor is it swollen, but I do have sharp pain whenever I step down stairs or make deep knee bends, strangely my right knee has no pain when walking on level ground or uphill; I haven't even attempted to try to run yet as I don't wish to create any further damage.

Today I'll be treating the knee to RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation) and ibuprofen. Hopefully I'll be o.k. before the marathon tomorrow morning...if not, and I hate to even consider it, I may not run.

I have ran the last eight Las Vegas Marathons in a row and eager to continue my "streak," I can't even imagine not running Sunday. The weather is going to be perfect too! I'm still in a state of shock and dismay.

12 comments:

Russ said...

Oh man, damn those cowgirls ....I hope all is well, RICE is the proper treatment. May some good karma come your way.

Sarah said...

I;m so sorry to read about this. I REALLY hope that you are able to run tomorrow.

Tanya said...

Man, that sucks. I hope you can keep your streak going-I'll be sending lots of positive thoughts and energy your way!

Dustie said...

I'm in the same boat, but kinda different....supposed to run tomorrow but decided I probably won't...I keep going back and forth. I really hope you feel better and can run....we're all thinking about you!

Kim said...

Russ said exactly what I was going to say.

Take it easy today. See how it goes. Hope you get to continue your streak. I'll be thinking about ya.

BeachRunner said...

Good luck.

lifestudent said...

FREAKING COWGIRLS. I knew I didnt like rodeo people but I thought I was just limited to rodeo clowns.

Good luck!

The Running Bob said...

Ouch. I don't know which is going to hurt more - a continued sore knee or the mental anguish of (potentially) the streak stopped. I'm sending good thoughts your way.

Good Luck and I hope you'll be able to run and tell us about it.

LIrunner9 said...

Hey Bruce,

Oh man, last year someone dropped a suitcase on your toe, this year a Cowgirls smacks your knee with a heavy suitcase. Don't these people know that you have an important race to run!

I hope the RICE helped and that you can keep your streak alive.

Keeping you in my prayers and hoping you make it to the finish tomorrow!!

Allen said...

Ohhh... I join with the others in hoping that your recovery comes quickly and that you can run tomorrow.

I have a strange philosophy that all things happen for a reason. So, Bruce, ask yourself what are you to learn from this? Don't harbor negative thoughts about those girls. It wasn't malicious on their part, so forgive them for their carelessness.

greentigress said...

Oh no! i've been working backwards,,, that's how it happened? that's really terrible!
Damn!

runrgrl2007 said...

I am working backwards as well.... Damn cowgirl.. How do we find them?