Tuesday, December 16, 2008

One Mile Jog!

Daily Quote: "Many runners try to get the most out of their runs by sprinting a the last couple hundred yards or so. Then they stand and try to catch their breath. This is asking for injury. It is also the time when susceptible individuals are most at risk of having a heart attack. Almost all exercise-related heart attacks occur just after runners stop running, not while they're actually running. This is because when you exercise, your body relies on your muscles to help pump or push the blood from your legs to your heart and brain. When you stop running, that muscle action stops and your heart and brain suddenly get less blood and oxygen." --Joe Ellis, from his excellent book, "Running Injury Free."

I always have a slow cool down after my runs, but I do have a problem when I make sudden stops during my road runs at busy intersections with traffic signals...I had passed out once during a typical stop and now jog in place when I'm at a busy intersection.

Today I attempted a one mile jog, I was very nervous as I wasn't sure if I was ready, but made a vow that I would stop if I felt any sharp pain. I haven't ran since January 6th, which was eleven days ago and was anxious to see how my healing has progressed.

10:00 a.m. 24-Hour Fitness Club. Life Fitness Treadmill set at no grade. Warm up: one mile at 4.0 mph (15 minute walk), One mile jog at 6.3 mph (9:31 minute mile), Cool down: one mile at 4.0 mph (15 minute walk). Didn't wear a heart rate monitor as I knew my heart rate would be low as the run is short and easy.

I'm ecstatic!! I didn't feel any sharp pain on my right knee. Need to continue very slowly as to allow the knee to continue to heal. I'll give my knee a rest day and will attempt to run 1.50 miles on Thursday. Tomorrow I will crosstrain with weights, walking and swimming.

After my run I also did the two exercises that Boscho recommended with no pain either, which I'll continue when I'm not doing upper body weights. The exercises were:
"1. Terminal Knee Extension - lie on your back with one weighted leg hanging over a padded coffee can or tightly rolled towel. Straighten the knee and hold for 5 seconds. Repeat. Start with 2 pounds and see if there is pain.2. Straight Leg Raise - lie on your back with one knee bent. Lift the opposite, weighted, straight leg 30 degrees off the floor. Hold for 5 seconds. Repeat. Start with 2 pounds as well and see if there is pain."

5 comments:

Sherri said...

glad to hear you did a mile without pain. encouraging news.

Sarah said...

That is great! I hope you continue to see improvement!

runrgrl2007 said...

Congrats. I know it must of been a relief when it was over an no pain. Remember to not push it. That is what you would tell all of us! Stay healthy!

Tanya said...

Yay! I'm glad you managed the run without pain-that's always a good sign.

Allen said...

That is good news, Bruce!