Daily Quote: "Can you see yourself running the race as you want to? Being able to use your mental power to see yourself perform well in your mind is very influential to your performance. Using imagery, or controlled daydreaming, during training and during warm-up on race day can help relaxation, hasten learning, increase your confidence, and improve preparation. From a neurological perspective, seeing truly is believing." --John P. Sullivan, PSY.D., and Bridget A. Murphy, PH.D. from article "Sweat Is Not Enough" in the magazine, "Marathon & Beyond," SEPT/OCT 2008, pg 43.
I'll definitely be using imagery during my waiting in the 2008 Las Vegas Marathon corral. Although I'll be treating this marathon as a long training run for my upcoming ultra race (Labor of Love 50k), I do want to put in a strong effort. It's feels good to have no time expectations for this race and never have I been so relaxed for an upcoming race.
Today is my last speedwork before the marathon on Sunday. Normally, I would do a tempo run at marathon pace, but today will continue to do my speedwork at my 10k pace as to make this Sunday's pace feel easy.
7:30 a.m. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 8 miles. Warmup: 2 miles at 6.2 mph. Tempo run: 4 miles at 8 mph (7:30 minutes per mile pace). Cooldown: 2 miles at 6.2 mph. Average heart rate: 160 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 174 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) Right ankle feels much better and it's a great confidence booster as I daydream that my ankle will treat me nicely on Sunday.
Ran earlier than normal this morning, as today was Checker Cab Company's "Shift Bid" at 6:00 a.m.! I now drive Checker Cab #3977 (a 2007 Ford Crown Victoria with 97,300 miles), Monday - Friday, from 12:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. My next shift bid will be in six months. Needless to say, working twelve hour days will put a crimp on my ultra-marathon training, BUT I've been considering on running back and forth to work; the company yard is only 8.1 miles from home. Running back and forth from work will help scheduling training miles and save gas.
I'll definitely need a small nap before work today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

18 comments:
Good Luck! Have a great run. You've certainly put in the hard work.
Glad your ankle is feeling better today... was worried...
Hope the marathon is a smooth one!!
Have fun. good zzz
Its the final countdown :) Looks like its supposed to be pretty warm on race day? Like 20 degrees warmer than last year? Im sending you wishes for a cool, rain-free Sunday!
Good Luck on your marathon! You will rock it I'm sure! Can't wait to hear the details!
Good luck and have fun. I know you will do great!!
Good luck with your race! I am looking forward to the race report!
Best Wishes for your run on Sunday!
Enjoy every step!
You're going to have a great race! Good luck and I'll be thinking about you.
can't wait to follow your progess in the marathon. you will do well. glad you are relaxed.
Being as relaxed as you are, don't be surprised if you set a new course record....
You are going to do great! I agree with Allen on this one, I bet you set a record..... Can't wait to see the results. Can we track you on the net?
Howdy runrgrl! Nope, the LVM doesn't have a site on the net where you can track the runners, but they do have a live race day audio webcast of the 2008 Las Vegas Marathon hosted by Rob Powers. See: http://lvmarathon.com/
Howdy Allen!
It's nice not to have any time goals nor the pressure of achieving another BQ (Boston Qualifier) as my main emphasis this year is to treat the Las Vegas Marathon as a long training run with the hopes that it'll prepare me well for my very first ultra race, "The Labor of Love 50k!" Nevertheless, I'll put in a strong effort and who knows, maybe I will set a personal record in the process!?!
Howdy lifestudent! The current extended forecast for marathon Sunday is Clear, High of 65 degrees, Low of 44 degrees, definitely no rain, but the wind is still and unknown variable. The weather sounds PERFECT!!
Howdy Greentigress, my ankle is much better and I was also very worried as well...ankle feels good today and should be o.k. for the marathon. Anything and everything could happen in a marathon where so many uncontrolled variables abound...the Greek warrior Achilles would understand my plight.
Howdy Greentigress, my ankle is much better and I was also very worried as well...ankle feels good today and should be o.k. for the marathon. Anything and everything could happen in a marathon where so many uncontrolled variables abound...the Greek warrior Achilles would understand my plight.
Wooo whooo! I will be wishing good luck on Sunday!
GOOD LUCK and have some fun! ;D
Post a Comment