Saturday, December 27, 2008

Crossfit

Daily Quote: "The CrossFit program is designed for universal scalability making it the perfect application for any committed individual regardless of experience. We’ve used our same routines for elderly individuals with heart disease and cage fighters one month out from televised bouts. We scale load and intensity; we don’t change programs." -- Crossfit Homepage

I discovered "Crossfit" when I was searching for something to keep me fit as I slowly recover from my right knee injury, the source was from Neal Jamison blog, "Ultra Marathon Training 101," where he states:

"Because I do enjoy getting outside and pushing my
body, I turned to other things. I started lifting weights again. I began biking again. I rediscovered "Crossfit." While I don't follow their workouts to a T, I began to really enjoy the type of metabolic conditioning workouts that Crossfit prescribes: fast circuits of bodyweight or weighted exercises with very little rest. The feeling I got from those circuits reminded me of when I used to do hill sprints or track workouts. So much so, that I started incorporating sprints and hills into my workouts again. My total weekly mileage rarely topped 15 miles, but I was running again. Sprinting, running fast up hills, all out efforts. My daily run went like this: a 1.5-mile jog to the park, 20 minutes of sprinting, pushups, lunges, squats, planks, whatever felt good that particular day, then a walk or jog (if I could still jog) back. I was running hard, the way I like it."

This coming week I'll be experimenting with what I've read from the Crossfit site and will gradually replace my weight circuit routine with this new program. My right knee is improving well and I hope to return to running by the end of January. I still plan to run the "Labor of Love 50k" this coming April.


4 comments:

greentigress said...

sounds like a good program, i will have to look it up and keep it in mind...i think weights without a break sounds hard!!!

runrgrl2007 said...

I need to look into this one more. I seriously need to add weight training in so thanks for the post!

Happy New Year!

LIrunner9 said...

Sounds like a great program.

I hope 2009 brings you everything you want.

Happy New Year!!!

Lily on the Road said...

Glad to hear you are on the mend!

Happy New Year!