Daily Quote: "It’s about defining and understanding your vision. Where are you and where are you trying to get? You have to understand that. It’s more than just wanting to run faster or further. ... Once you have that plan of action, the nuts and bolts is in the execution, working day in and day out, and staying within the framework of that plan." --Bob Kennedy, Ex-Olympian
I attempted a very easy four mile run as to test my right knee for today's marathon, after the first half-mile I had decided my knee was far from 100% and would be foolish to risk further damage, I returned home by walking. Not starting the marathon this morning is the toughest decision I've ever made in my short running history. In the past, I've raced with a sore foot from luggage being dropped on it twice, sore back from lifting a heavy footlocker, plantar fasciitis injury from wearing running shoes too long, therefore I really wanted to race today even with an injury because I've done it before. I desperately wanted to continue my Las Vegas Marathon running streak, today would've been my ninth LVM in a row!
This will be the first time that I've cancelled a marathon due to an injury and it's tough, very tough...I'm still questioning myself if I'm doing the right thing as I've done so much high mileage training this fall. I keep going back and forth wondering what should I do. What advice would I give to those at the about.com forum site if he/she would ask what they should do in my situation? I would undoubtedly tell them to cancel the race, heal, and return to race again; that running is not about any particular race, but a lifetime goal of health and fitness.
I can't blame my passengers for my knee injury as they were in a hurry, I was in a hurry too, and it was indeed an accident. I've been hurt so many times as a cab driver, took a knife away from an assailant that cut my palm, cab rear-ended three times with headaches and light concussion, heavy suitcase dropped on my foot, fingers crunched by cab door, not to mention being robbed three times and survived with no injuries, but the horrible timing of this latest accident makes me wonder "why?"
My wife constantly worries about my safety, and I do sometimes take unnecessary risks by accepting radio calls from the "66 Zone" (the poorest neighborhood in North Las Vegas), knowingly picking up belligerent drunks, and sometimes gang bangers. I have to realize that I'm not immortal nor invincible and should be more cautious out there. I would look for another job, but my age (56 years old) and the horrible economy would make the job search too daunting.
I now need a plan and I have to get my knee healthy again. I don't think the injury is too serious because I can still walk with no pain nor limping, nevertheless, I'm not sure how long it'll take to return to 100%. First, I must stay fit and keeping weight off the knee; maybe swimming, cycling, and upper body weight training to start. Once my knee appears to get better I'll try light jogging on the treadmill. If my knee hasn't improved by January I'll make an appointment to see a sports physician.
I still want to experiment with ultra-racing this year, obviously I don't know how realistic that would be at this time. I need to stay positive that I will heal, improve, and become even stronger than before.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 comments:
I think you made the right decision. Healing yourself is the most important. I'm sorry that it worked out this way, and I understand your questioning the "why". Instead of being hard on yourself - because this was completely out of your hands -, reflect on how far you've come and how hard you've trained. I will pray that you will have a speedy recovery and still be able to run your ultra marathon. :)
I agree with Dustie. Heal yourself and get ready for your next goals. It will all be worth it. Have a good one. :D
You did the right thing. Dont look back. Just look forward to the next challenge.
Wow, Bruce-I'm really sorry to hear that you had to cancel. I can only guess how dissapointing that must be. I agree with Dustie that you made the right decision. Take care of yourself and be careful out there!
Wow, I'm sorry it turned out this way for you. Maybe look at another race in a month or two. Heal well, swimming is a great idea. You made the choice that was right for you!
I am so sorry to hear about having to not run your race. I can't imagine how hard this decision has been for you.
I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself further at this stage, i hope you can still run your ultra!!! Or if not at least you won't give up and there will be other ultra's too!
I'm very sorry to hear this as I know how difficult it is when we have we can't fulfill our expectations. Recall, your primary goal is the Ultra and the marathon was only to be a training run for you. If anything, you at least motivated me for this morning's long run.
I think a lot of people would have still run (or at least attempted) ... you showed a real solid sense of judgement. It's obviously the right choice, just not an easy one.
Just think of Tiger Woods - the guy played on an injury and lost his whole season. You are smarter than Tiger ;)
(a) sorry to hear about the lii (luggage induced injury) but in the scheme of things It's only a race...I realize it's a streak, but sometimes we get a little carried away with our obsessions
(b)as for taking fares in dangerous neighborhoods, it is your life - but ask yourself next time is the extra money worth more than not spending time with those you love. while i don't work in dangerous neighborhoods, i did change my lifestyle once i had a little one at home - i do need reminders from time to time, but the years of 60+ hour weeks and 100K flight miles are long gone - save a few weeks here and there.
good luck with your ultra.
I was bummed to hear the news, but you made the right decision. It is better to not put any added stress on your knee and heal than to try and run a marathon. Plus, it is better to miss a race or two than live with chronic knee issues.
I am sad for you and I totally know how it feels to back out, but take your own advice. Yes you would tell someone to rest and heal 100% before returning. That is exactly what you told me! Take care and look forward to what is ahead of you not behind you!
Bruce, I'm proud of you for making the decision you did! And, I'm proud of all those who replied with their support of you and that decision. Like you've told all of us, running is a life-time decision, and this accident will pass.
Oh man. Too bad. I know it was a tough decision but you are probably smart to not run especially so you can heal and achieve the bigger goal of the ultra.
You know, I was wondering why I couldn't find you on the site. Bruce, I am so sorry. I tried to get up to the startline as close as I could so I could say that you passed on your way up the running ladder.
I am so sorry to hear that you could not compete. I missed running with you!
Charlie
Hey dude... you did the right thing. You have made the right decision. No one does not like the feeling of not completing the race. Look at this way.. DNF means Did Not Fail. You didn't fail. You have tried but you also need to bail out as a way to prevent from serious injury. That was smart of you. I would have done the same thing if I was in your shoes. You will always have an opportunity to do another marathon.
Post a Comment