Monday, December 15, 2008

The Best Running Surfaces

Daily Quote: "The best surfaces for running are firm (not mushy or slippery), relatively flat (without camber), smooth, (without ruts or holes), and provide some degree of shock absorption. The more angled the surface, the steeper the incline, the harder the surface, the greater chances are the chances of injury." --from the book, "Running Injury-Free" by Joe Ellis, D.P.M.

Returned home last night from our escape weekend to Primm, Nevada. We had a wonderful time and now I'm back to work. December is normally very slow for cab business, but this December it'll be even slower due to the poor economy, I'll have plenty of time to walk around the airport pit!

Last night bowled in the Gorman Bishop League at the Gold Coast Hotel, our team did well winning all four games against the "A-Team!" I'm fortunate that my knee injury was the right knee as my left knee does most of the sliding and bending. I may incorporate more bowling practice into my weekly routine since bowling doesn't affect my sore knee and it's somewhat of an exercise too.

Today the weather is going to be weird as measurable snowfall is expected to greet Las Vegas Valley residents today for the first time in more than five years, according to the National Weather Service!! The high today will be 44 with a low of 33. Simply "Weird!"

8:00 a.m. 24 Hour Fitness Gym, Rainbow location. Accomplished my typical weight circuit routine without the lower body workouts. Later this week I'll attempt to do lower body workouts with very low weights with low repetitions.

I walked on the treadmill for 60 minutes with no grade at 4 mph, no aches nor pain. Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to jog for one mile on the treadmill, which for me is the best running surface with a knee injury. I'm very anxious to start jogging, but if any pain develops I'll stop immediately.

3 comments:

Tanya said...

Good luck tomorrow with the easy jog-I'm glad you were able to walk on the treadmill without pain.

Unknown said...

It was 68 degrees yesterday in NJ. Warmer here than it was in LV. Now, it is cold. (38 degrees and wintry mix!)

Glad you had a good vacation. It was smart of you to start off on the treadmill. Easy does it ! Good Luck with your "light" run.

Anonymous said...

Glad the walking went well. Hope all is ok for a jog.