Monday, December 8, 2008

Back To Square One

Daily Quote: "It's astounding how many runners upbraid themselves for getting the flu or for pulling a hamstring. All runners eventually get sidelined. Work and family will always make demands on your training time, and the balancing act that modern life requires is rarely neat or comfortable. Remind yourself that running is less a claim on your time than a way of achieving better balance in the rest of your life. But also be aware that when the furnace breaks, the dog swallows a golf ball, or a deadline looms, your workout is a practical sacrifice, no blame necessary." --Marty Jerome

Yesterday was my big pity party, but today I'm back to square one and prepared to make myself better.

This morning I purchased a large bottle of "Osteo Bi-Flex Glucosamine Chondroitin, MSM with Joint Shield, Advanced Double Strength" (say that really fast three times!) as to help rebuild and lubricate the cartilage in my right knee. I've read mixed scientific reviews of Glucosamine, but it has helped me in the past with my foot and hopefully it'll work now with my knee. The product does take several weeks to build up in the body.

My current plan is no running this week, but will crosstrain at the gym as to help maintain my fitness.

8:00 a.m. 24 Hour Fitness Gym on Rainbow. My last weight training session was two weeks ago. I did the upper body weight circuits machines (similar to the Curves Gym circuit workouts) and happily discovered I hadn't lost much upper body strength. I didn't even attempt to work the lower body with weights, which will have to wait until my knee is somewhat better.

I tried the upright stationary cycle, but after five minutes the downstrokes caused pain to the knee, hence I'm not quite ready for cycling yet.

I then attempted to swim, which thankfully caused no aches nor pain to my knee. Swam laps for twenty minutes...couldn't do another lap due to extreme boredom...this is going to be tougher than I planned!

My first real day of exercising at the gym since my injury is now completed! I may walk laps around the taxi cab holding area (otherwise known as "The Pit") tonight if cab business is slow. I'm very anxious to improve, but must remember "Baby steps-baby steps."

I need to realize that I'm not burning hundreds of calories everyday from running and will focus on eating less calories per day, perhaps around the 2,000 calorie range.

11 comments:

runrgrl2007 said...

I have a bottle of that and have not tried it yet. Did it really help your foot and tell me about the foot so I can decide if I should actually try swallowing those horse pills. (runrgrl2007@yahoo.com)
Hope tonight is a good "lap" night

AddictedToEndorphins said...

OH NO!!
Just catching up! I'm so sorry that your knee got hurt, but you did make the right decision to not start. Sometimes the right decisions are the hardest ones to make, right? Hope you're hanging in there!!

Allen said...

It was good to hear the real Bruce in this post!

Russ said...

My Dr. has approved me to use two supplements only on a regular basis. A multivitamin and also Glucosimine and Chondrotin. It seems to work for me as I have had no problems with ligaments and I'm carrying around 215 lbs.

robison52 said...

Howdy Russ!
I also take a multivitamin, Glucosimine and Chondrotin, but also take an additional 750mg Calcium and 1000mg Omega 3 Fish Oil and haven't had any running induced joint and/or ligament problems. Needless to say, supplements wouldn't help from any Tanya Harding type kneecap blows.

lifestudent said...

I hate swimming. I know its so great for muscles, injuries, cardio, blah blah blah. But just getting into that water is about the last thing on this earth I want to do. Too bad its supposed to be so great for you, huh?

Anonymous said...

I feel sorry about what happened to your knee. I have always been careful about not getting injured because I'd hate to stop running altogether. But getting injured because of such a freak accident is really sad. I do hope that nothing serious has occurred internally. God bless!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bruce,
OK, I don't know are you in the mood to discus your knee injury at this point?
I don't want to push or bother you too much but I think it's not that bad.
According to what you said there are a lot of elements for optimism:
- You didn't notice any pain at the moment of injury
- Your knee has no bruises, nor is it swollen
- Your knee has no pain when walking on level ground or uphill
Where exactly did you get a "heavy bag kick"? What was the location and size of "contact area"? What was the position of your leg at that moment? Have you had any problem with that knee before?

greentigress said...

hi Bruce,

i feel that way about swimming these days LOL!
sorry to hear it's a difficult time recovering, even if the pity party is over...

robison52 said...

Howdy Boscho!
--The impact was at the lower half portion of the kneecap and upper shins.
--If I recall correctly, I was just turning around from putting a back in the trunk and almost fully standing up with a turning motion.
--I've never had a problem with the left knee before, but my right knee was once bruised from tripping on a cattle guard when I was at the Cal Poly Running Camp several years ago.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bruce,

I think your injury is mainly due to kneecap injury. I would suggest two exercises for kneecap stabilization, of course if this cause you no pain.
1. Terminal Knee Extension - lie on your back with one weighted leg hanging over a padded coffee can or tightly rolled towel. Straighten the knee and hold for 5 seconds. Repeat. Start with 2 pounds and see if there is pain.
2. Straight Leg Raise - lie on your back with one knee bent. Lift the opposite, weighted, straight leg 30 degrees off the floor. Hold for 5 seconds. Repeat. Start with 2 pounds as well and see if there is pain.