Daily Quote: "With runners, walkers and wheelchair participants concerned that the chilly rain of Friday and Saturday's wind gusts of nearly 40 mph would reappear at race time, the more than 17,000 competitors were greeted at the starting line outside Mandalay Bay by calm winds, 59 percent humidity and temperatures in the high-30s." --Las Vegas Review Journal, December 3, 2007.
I arrived near the starting line at 5:00 a.m., an hour before the start, I should have arrived TWO HOURS before the start as I couldn't get anywhere near the front and saw no signs of corrals or for that matter pace balloons. Sadly, the marathoners and half-marathoners will start at the very same time, all 17,000 of us!! I was able to squeeze into the middle of the mass of humanity, thinking, I'll only need to pass about 8,000 runners!
I've set my Garmin Forerunner 301 (GPS) watch for 3:30 in the virtual partner mode, but will not be wearing the heart rate strap. My main emphasis is to stay on 8:00 minute pace whatever my effort.
Entertainer Brendan Paul as Elvis sings the National Anthem and starts off the marathon at 6:06 a.m. under a huge fireworks display. I have a great view of the fireworks as I'm so far back from the starting line in front of the Mandalay Bay Hotel.
Mile 1: Pace 9:36. Passed the Mandalay Bay, Tropicana, New York-New York, MGM Grand, Monte Carlo. Thousands of spectators at the start! Spent so much time weaving, zig-zaging around hundreds of runners...frustrating!! Passed a gang of 20 Elvi's, one Elvis pushing a stroller with a huge boom box playing "Viva Las Vegas."
Mile 2: Pace 9:10. Passed Bellagio, which had its fountain show playing, Paris Hotel, Caesars Casino, Flamingo, Bally's, Venetian and the Mirage that had the volcano eruption playing. Many cheering on the sidelines. Still fighting the crowds of walkers and slower runners who are chatting 4-6 abreast, I feel like running OVER them rather than swinging wide around. I'm already so far behind my 3:30 marathon goal.
Mile 3: Pace 8:02. Passed the new Wynn Hotel, New Frontier Hotel, Fashion Show Mall, Riviera, Circus-Circus, but less spectators cheering. Very close to my goal pace of 8:00 minute per mile pace; I was able to find a running space close to the cones as to avoid the mass of runners to the left. Most of the runners are on the left as to view the performance of the Blue Man Group! Searched for friend, Thomas Woodrow, who was to cheer me in front of Circus-Circus, but couldn't find him, slapped eight limo drivers who were lined up out front wearing long black coats.
Mile 4: Pace 7:49. Ran through a section of town with old businesses and cheap "one hour rental" motels. Still crowded course, but was able to make up time by having a sub 8:00 minute mile. Passed the "run-through-wedding chapel," only in Las Vegas!!
Mile 5: Pace 7:48. Fourth Street and Colorado. Pushing hard to make up more time. The musical group, Sounds of Central Park, performs a nice strong beat on steel drums...a very distinctive sound.
Mile 6: Pace 7:45. DOWNTOWN LAS VEGAS baby!! I wish I was wearing my heart rate monitor strap as to see how strenuous my effort, but know via perceived effort I'm running too hard for a marathon. Gobbled down a small package of orange flavored "Sport Beans," this is my first package I've taken and now have three packages left. Ran past Jim Spoto and his band.
Mile 7: Pace 8:00. Heading North on 4th Street and then West on Bonanza (this is a course change from last year to avoid the construction near World Market Center). Hit my marathon pace target of 8:00 minute miles exactly!! The half marathoners had broken off to the left, a little confusion as the split had no signs, just a Metro Police Officer pointing the way saying repeatedly "Half to the Left, Full straight ahead," now the course is much less congested and I'm feeling less panic!!
Mile 8: Pace 8:05. Continue west on Bonanza and turning north on Martin Luther King Blvd. Ran past the "African Arts Productions" and the steel drums making a steady rhythmic beat!
Mile 9: Pace 10:50. North on Martin Luther King. Costly three minute bathroom break due to diarrhea. I've been burping up spaghetti meat sauce taste and guess my stomach problems are due to yesterday's large pasta lunch at the Gold Coast. It's going to be very tough to reach my 3:30 marathon goal. Ran past the "2nd Baptist Gospel Choir" as they sing, "When the Saints Come Marching In."
Mile 10: 8:06. Continuing north on Martin Luther King and west on Carey Avenue, a tough neighborhood at night, but very peaceful during this early morning hour. I view this section as the toughest part of the course...slight 4 mile upgrade past the North Las Vegas Airport that has little cover from any wind with no cheering spectators and musical entertainment. Luckily, this year wind is only SW at 5 mph! I'm struggling to get back on track and close to my 8:00 minute per mile goal.
Mile 11: 8:03. Continuing west on Carey Avenue. Really pushing myself up this slight grade, grabbed a glass of Lemon-Lime Gatorade at a water stand full where cheerleaders on both sides of a human tunnel are handing off water & Gatorade, they were doing a wonderful job cheering as they worked the stand. Took another package of orange flavored "Sport Beans" with the Gatorade, now only two packages of Beans left.
Mile 12. 9:44. Continuing west on Carey Avenue. Drats, ANOTHER bathroom break! I now realize that I must revise my goal as I'm not going to be able to make a 3:30 marathon, therefore I decided to focus on finishing with a Boston Qualifier (sub 3:45:59) and maybe a personal record of beating last year's time of 3:45:27. I regretfully resigned to my Garmin's virtual partner and switched to the watch "mile pace" screen.
Mile 13. 8:34. Carey Avenue now changes name to Smoke Ranch Road as we runners continue running west on the slight uphill grade. Revising my goal made it mentally easier for me to set a rhythm at a slower 8:30 minute pace. A very cute group, the Mini-Beatles, kids 8-10 years old performing Beatles' "Twist and Shout" that reminds me of the scene in the movie, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" when Ferris sings "Twist and Shout" on a float.
Mile 14: 8:38. West on Smoke Ranch Road and then South on Torrey Pines Road. Thankfully it's now a slight downhill slope for the rest of the marathon (exception being a small hump, which is the HWY 95 overpass). The distinctive sounds of bagpipes from the "Desert Sky Bagpipe and Drum Band," either you love the screaching sound or hate it...I LOVE it!!
Mile 15: 8:36. Continuing south on Torrey Pines Road near W. Lake Mead Blvd. This part of the course I've trained several times a week and know it like the back of my hand, but seems surreal running it with so many other runners. First time I noticed the new flag mile markers and they're not that impressive, maybe would have been better if we had winds stronger than 5 mph. Nevertheless, this year the marathon got the markers on the correct mile splits.
Mile 16: 8:39. Continuing south on Torrey Pines Road when we make a small hiccup around O.K. Elementary School. The hiccup is West on Hyde Ave., south on Newcomer St. and east on Celeste Ave. until we return to our southern route of Torrey Pines Road. This hiccup detour did not exist during last year's marathon, but I did practice cutting tangents sharply on this detour during the last several weeks of training.
Mile 17: 8:44. Continuing south on Torrey Pines Road. I'M about 1/2 mile from home!! Day dreamed how warm and cozy my bed would be right now...woke up and reminded myself I need to stay positive and focus on my goal. Saying to myself, "NO NEGATIVE THOUGHTS!!"
Mile 18: 8:53. Continuing south on Torrey Pines Road. Another new detour hiccup...west on Del Rey Ave., south on Redwood St., east on Oakey Blvd. until we again return to our southern route down Torrey Pines Road. This detour also didn't exist last year, therefore many more tangents to run too! A nice distraction from the group, "Love Train," wearing afro's and singing 70's songs. Discovered "Love Train" are a little too distracting as I've fallen off pace.
Mile 19: 8:38. Continuing south on Torrey Pines Road. Passed the wildy dressed group of "The Love Shack" performing 80's songs...I'm too zoned out to remember even hearing what song they played.
Mile 20: 8:37 South on Torrey Pines Road than east on Twain Avenue. Literally ran through a WALL, the musical group played Pink Floyd's "The Wall" and the marathoners ran through a fake brick tunnel at exactly the 20 mile mark. Several groups were to perform here and believe the "Screamin Fifi and the Smoke Alarms" performed Pink Floyd...if I'm wrong, please correct me.
Mile 21: 8:35. East on Twain Avenue. The final 10k gives me a joyful feeling, I'm doing well and starting to see more crowd support. Ate another package of "Sport Beans" that'll be my last carbs until the Finish Line.
Mile 22: 8:02. East on Twain Avenue. Deep decline after Twain/Decatur has caused my ankles tremendous pain, especially the right ankle. I did make up some time, but at what cost?
Mile 23: 8:44. East on Twain Avenue and south on Frank Sinatra Drive. I can see the huge Mandalay Bay sign in the distance, those runners who don't realize how far we still have to run are starting to sprint...the sign is farther than they think!! Right ankle started getting very sore, I might have to get a DNF, I'm so close that I don't want to quit now, fortunately before I make that final decision the ankle goes numb and was able to wobble on. I hope I don't injure myself as to mess up my running the 2008 Boston Marathon.
Mile 24: 8:49. South on Frank Sinatra Drive. My form is rather ugly as I'm favoring my left foot, but I'm getting it done. We've rejoined the tail end of the half-marathoners, most of them are walking and it's very tempting to join them on their stroll, nevertheless I keep trudging, keeping my head up, shoulders relaxed, and focusing on my goal.
Mile 25: 9:29. South on Frank Sinatra Drive. Almost there! I'm hurting, but now know I can finish this thing! Ran lock stepped with several other runners who are also attempting to finish in less than 3:45. Passed the loud and crazy group called "The Ozzie Osbourne Tribute Band!"
Mile 26: 9:37. South on Frank Sinatra Drive and a sharp uphill turn into Mandalay's Convention Center's parking lot. I keep pushing, thinking I can do this, I've done it last year, "One foot in front of another and DON'T STOP." The "Las Vegas Taiko Drummers" are helping with a strong and steady beat!
FINISH LINE!! My Garmin says I completed the marathon in 3:44: 22. Later, after bowling on Sunday night I went online and discovered I set a new personal record of 3:44:58, which is a measly 29 seconds off from last year's 2006 New Las Vegas Marathon of 3:45:37. I'll take it!! (Don't have a choice anyways) Feels good to have another Boston Qualifier!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Bruce! I've been waiting since Monday for this report!
Congratulations on ANOTHER BQ! Too bad about the stomach problems, but that's still a veryyy good time! :o)
Now, about 4 months til Boston? Rest, and let your ankle recover! You Deserve it!
You're AMAZING! :O)
What a tough finish!... Way to gut it out. You should be very proud of yourself!
Howdy Tiger! Thanks for hanging in there, while I had procrastonate on posting my report on this blog! I've been pretty lazy and tired and will indeed rest as to recover for BOSTON!! Thanks for your support the last couple of months, I appreciate being held accountable!
Thanks Easy Runner! I'm proud of myself, but feel I've wasted a great chance to beat 3:30 as the weather was PERFECT! Oh well, I have another chance to redeem myself this April...Boston or Bust!
Post a Comment