Saturday, December 22, 2007

SUMMARY, WEEK 51

Daily Quote: "If a talented runner will do two hard interval sessions and a long run weekly, and fill in with slow running for a total of 100 miles, and if he will stick to the plan for two or three years he will 'get good.'" --Frank Shorter

I would like to continue my hard, high mileage training like Frank Shorter recommends in the above quote, but my next marathon training cycle might be different from last fall's high mileage training as I doubt I can have such mileage increases quickly and safely enough for the 2008 Boston Marathon.

Yesterday I purchased the book, "Run Less, Run Faster" by Pierce, Murr and Moss. The book is based on the FIRST (Furman Institue of Running and Scientific Training) that has emphasis on three quality runs and two aerobic cross-training workouts, what they call the "3PLUS2" program. The testimonials in the book is eye opening! Can I run less mileage and still achieve good results?

I'm hesitant to start the FIRST program as I'm such a believer in LSD and high mileage training that it's hard for me to believe that FIRST will work. Nevertheless, I'm seriously considering the FIRST program as to add a little adventure and spice to my next marathon training cycle without burning myself out from having to train high mileage for another marathon so close to my previous marathon. I'll have plenty of time to read "Run Less, Run Faster" as to ascertain whether to use the program in my next marathon training cycle. I can always return to high mileage training in the fall when preparing for 2008 Zappos Las Vegas Marathon.

SUMMARY FOR WEEK OF December 16-22, 2007

Last week finished my third week of marathon recovery and ran only 31 miles. My ankles are no longer in pain and have only a slight ache in my small upper, inner thigh! I'm confident I can safely add five more miles in next weeks mileage. Two more weeks before I start training for the "2008 Boston Marathon!!"

I've added another pound from last week and now I'm 174 pounds on a six foot frame. I need to stay focus on my diet for the next two weeks during the holiday season...after the next two weeks the weight will naturally come off because of marathon training.

Accomplished three sessions of weight circuit training! I skipped the leg press machine last week as I had developed pain on the upper hip. I may experiment next week with adding the leg press machine, but with lighter weights. It's nice not to have to squeeze in a weight training circuit program due to my low marathon recovery mileage!

I was able to sleep well last week with 7-8 hours of sound, REM sleep daily! My morning resting heart rates are low, 38-41 bpm. I've been sleeping so well at nights that I don't require a nap after my morning runs.

A short recap of last week's mileage:
Sunday: General Aerobic Run, 9 miles.
Monday: Cross-training, Weight circuit training.
Tuesday: Recovery Run, 5 miles.
Wednesday: Recovery Run, 5 miles.
Thursday: Cross-training, Weight circuit training.
Friday: General Aerobic + Speed, 7 miles with 8x100 meter strides.
Saturday: Recovery Run, 5 miles. Weight circuit training (No Leg Press Machine).
Total Weekly Miles: 31 miles.

2 comments:

Charlie said...

Hey Bruce,

First, congratulations on your success and PR in the Vegas Marathon!

Second, I wanted to comment on the First program. I used it during the summer to get ready for the Marine Corps Marathon and I highly recommend the program. Being in my 50's, I found that I had little to no injury and better recovery between runs because of only running three times a week. I think the key is not only the three key runs of a speed, tempo and long run but also the cross training between the runs. I used a combination of the elliptical, lifecycle and swimming for my three cross training days which also game me a complete day of rest. If done correctly, I feel you get a lot more benefit than just running for the sake of accumulating miles.

With the program, I improved from a 3:55 PR to a 3:47 in the MCM...even with a very bad bonk after 18...but was still able to run a second marathon two weeks later with even a better PR by 24 minutes more and a Boston Qual.

Another big benefit is that it also helped me on my shorter distance races because of the speed and tempo sessions.

Good luck and Happy Holidays!
Charlie

robison52 said...

Howdy Charlie!

Congrats on setting a PR of 3:47 at the MCM!

Thanks for the "FIRST" testimonial, as I'm also in my 50's and need a break from my LSD running and could use the extra recovery that the FIRST program provides...the extra speed sessions and cross-training wouldn't hurt either!

I'll probably cross-train on the LifeCycle and swimming at my local 24-Hour Gym. I already have a weight circuit lifting program.

Thanks again for taking the time to add such a long and helpful comment!!!

Happy Holidays to you as well!!