Thursday, December 20, 2007

My Marathon History





I've ran a total of seven marathons in the last six years and all of them were in Las Vegas! The upcoming 2008 Boston Marathon will be my first marathon outside the State of Nevada. Start drum roll:

February 3, 2002. Las Vegas International Marathon. 4:40:30 Pace: 10:42 minute miles. My first marathon! Point to point course, Starting in Jean, Nevada, and ending in Las Vegas at Sunset Park. Cold, 35 degrees at start, 25 mph headwind, 55 degrees at finish.

February 2, 2003. Las Vegas International Marathon. 4:38:05 Pace: 10:37 minute miles. Same point to point course. Cold, 38 degrees at start with horrible winds, a headwind of 50 mph! 51 degrees at the finish line.

January 25, 2004. Las Vegas International Marathon. 4:21:26 Pace: 9:59 minute miles. Same point to point course. 40 degrees at start, but same old Vegas story with 35 mph headwinds! 55 degrees at finish.

January 30, 2005. Las Vegas International Marathon. 4:06:22 Pace: 9:24 minute miles. This will be the last year the marathon will be a point to point course, unbeknown to me. Cold, 41 degrees at start with 20-25 mph gusts, 55 degrees at finish.

December 4, 2005. New Las Vegas Marathon. 4:09:41 Pace: 9:31 minute miles. Devine Racing purchases marathon and changes the date of the marathon to December, hence I've ran the Las Vegas Marathon twice this year! Devine Racing also creates a new loop course that runs up the famous Strip, through the Fremont Street Experience, and winds around West Las Vegas. Cold, 33 degrees at start with winds of 10-15 mph, gusts 20+mph. 44 degrees at finish.

December 10, 2006. New Las Vegas Marathon. 3:45:27 Pace: 8:37 minute miles. Same loop course as last year. My first "Boston Qualifier!" 52 degrees at the start, but with 31 mph winds. 61 degrees at the finish line.

December 2, 2007. Zappos.com Las Vegas Marathon. 3:44:58 Pace: 8:34 minute miles. My second "Boston Qualifier" and shows last year's result wasn't a fluke! Loop course, but because of construction doesn't run through the Fremont Street Experience, nevertheless, still runs north on the famous Strip. Marathon name change due to new sponsor. Perfect temperatures, 39 degrees at start with calm winds and 62 degrees at the finish line. This marathon result is my personal best.

8 comments:

Allen said...

Bruce, you have a great track record with your marathons! You've really done well. Now, I have a suggestion that you might consider. Don't try and PB Boston. Slow down a bit and enjoy it. This is the fulfillment of a life-time dream. Enjoy being there, enjoy the people, get a life-time of satisfaction from your life-time dream.

robison52 said...

Getting a personal record would be difficult as it is a very tough course, PLUS it'll be my first time in Boston, which will be like a vacation for me and my wife...so many distractions!! Good tip about slowing down and enjoying it, but I doubt I'll ever run Boston again, I'm torn between enjoying being there or doing my very best.

Allen said...

Yeah, I understand your feelings.

For 17 years I lived an hour from the Boston Common, and I never ran Boston. I didn't have the time to seriously train for a BQ. I ran the Foxtrotter Marathon twice (south of Boston in Foxboro, MA), and I considered that my "Boston". I regretted missing the thrill of Boston, but I accepted life as it was and did the best I could under those circumstances. I'm very excited for you, Bruce, and I'll be running spiritually with you in April.

robison52 said...

I'll undoubtedly will feel your prescience as I run my Boston dream! You've been inspirational and have always been very supportive and helpful with my running, I appreciate you more than words can say. You're my big brother!!

Tall Girl Running said...

Bruce,

Your steady improvement over the course of seven marathons gives me hope I can do the same thing. I tend to be impatient when wanting to see progress, so your experience is a good reminder that progress comes one baby step at a time. Thanks for being such a great role model!

robison52 said...

Howdy Angie! Yup, it took me literally years to qualify for Boston, and quite frankly, still surprised I accomplished this feat so soon. As you can tell from my marathon history, the process is very slow and indeed one baby step at a time. I'm confident your accomplishments will eventually outshine my own, just keep pluggin' away!!

Sherri said...

That's amazing in 6 years you have become so much better as to drop a whole hour off your marathon time! wow!

robison52 said...

Thanks Sherri! Whenever I think I can't get another PR, I surprise myself and pop another one!! I hope the best is yet to come, with hard work and consistency I should do well for 2008!!