Monday, December 31, 2007

"FIRST" Day of Boston Marathon Training

Daily Quote: "The Furman FIRST training programs are the most detailed, well-organized, and scientific training programs for runners that I have ever seen." --Amby Burfoot, executive editor of "Runner's World" Magazine And Boston Marathon winner.

I now begin my Boston Marathon training, which is only 16 weeks from today!! My marathon goal is a modest 3:40 result as Boston is a challenging course and I'll be experimenting with a new system, FIRST, (acronym for Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training) where I'm only running THREE quality runs a week (interval repeats, tempo run, and the Long Run.)

Today is the tempo run and the schedule calls for the following workout,
6 mile run:
2 miles easy,
2 miles @ short tempo pace,
2 miles easy

The purpose of short tempo pace is to improve endurance by raising lactate threshold. The intensity is comfortably hard; 15-45 seconds slower than 5k race pace. My last 5k race was 22:36 (Come Catch A Leprechaun 5k, March 17, 2007)with a pace of 7:16, therefore my short tempo pace shall be 7:36 minute miles. I'll be running a tempo run once every week.

9:00 a.m. Life Fitness Treadmill at a 1% grade. 2 miles at 6.3 mph. (9:31 minute miles) Tempo: 2 miles at 7.9 mph (7:36 minute miles.) 2 miles at 6.3 mph (9:31 minute miles.) Total Time: 53:34. Tough run! My heart rate reached 184 bpm (my maximum heart rate is 191 bpm) and the intensity didn't feel "comfortably hard"...just felt hard! I'm obviously out of shape and hope to remedy this situation as my marathon training continues.

1 comment:

Charlie said...

Howdy Bruce!

I hate to be bearer of bad news but I found the tempo and long runs are the easier sessions in the FIRST program...wait till you get to the Speed Intervals...they are killers! Don't be disappointed if you can't get all the intervals in...sometimes I had to take extra time for the rest interval to get ready for the next set...and I did them on a treadmill which doesn't let you cheat on the effort unless you physically hit the buttons. That's why I did most of my training on the treadmill...to be consistant and get the most of each training session.

It's a great training program in my opinion...it helped me out a lot in speed as well as endurance with no training related injuries. The cross training also is a big benefit because it works other muscle groups and increased cardio while decreases the pounding to the legs, joints and body.

Happy New Year!
Charlie