Daily Quote: "First of all, wear those trail shoes. They're light enough for racing, but offer the lateral support you need to keep your feet and ankles more stable. Also, a trail shoe has a heavier tread pattern than a road shoe, and offers a toe 'bumper' to protect you from bruising". --"Trail Racing 101" by Martin Dugard, Runner's World Magazine, 08/08/2002
I don't own trail shoes because I run trails so rarely, but how I wished I ran today in shoes that have bumpers as most of my toes are sore and bruised. I'll drop a hint to my wife for a upcoming Christmas present for trail shoes. My next trail run won't be until next Spring. Today I wore my New Balance 729 stability shoes that just didn't do the job. I'm primarily a road runner, hence I don't have the hang of changing terrain and multiple speeds.
I've got that "marathon shuffle," which works great for most of my runs, but need to learn to lift my feet for trail runs. I had many mishaps where I wasn't paying close attention and tripped over roots and jutted rocks, thankfully nothing serious happened to my body, but my hands are bruised as I avoided the face-plants.
During road runs when I'm in pain I would mediate or zone out as I race through the pain, but learned very quickly I can't do that in trail runs, must stay focused throughout the race.
The only reason I ran the LVTC 27th Annual Forest Challenge 11 miler, was because I need to finish 10 races that are part of the LVTC Competition Series. The Competition Series has many variety of races, 5k, 10k road races, track races, a cross-country race, and the marathon (which is the 2010 Rock n' Roll Las Vegas Marathon.) Today, I had the option of a 6 mile Forest Challenge, but I needed to complete an 18 miler this week for my marathon training (only 11 more weeks until the marathon.) After my race, I tacked on another 7 miles, but at a lower elevation...The Fletcher Trail was perfect, it was an easy seven miler at 3,000 feet elevation, rather than the 9,000 feet elevation at Bristlecone Trail.
My strategy for this 11 miler was to run it as a tempo run at about 80% of my perceived effort, and I had planned to treat this race as a Long Run for my marathon training. I didn't really care about being competitive as just finishing the race will give me an automatic 5 points in the Competitive Series. Interesting Twilight Zone note: I'm currently in 11th place in the Competition Series, running a 11 mile trail race, AND my bib number was...yup, it was Bib #11!! I asked the race director if my bib number was intentionally #11 due to my placing, and he said the Las Vegas Track Club is not that organized and the bib number was random. Quite Eeerie!!
I don't have the official time nor photos yet, and will update my blog when they're available.
The 27th Annual Forest Challenge is an out-and-back trail race and starts at the Lower Bristlecone Trailhead at Mt Charleston, approximately 9,000 feet elevation, the trail climbs to the Kyle Canyon Ski Resort, once we arrive at the Upper Bristlecone Trailhead we return to the start. I didn't expect the start to be so cold, 45 degrees, just an hour away Las Vegas was already in the low 90's!! The first two miles and last two miles are on a fire road, but once the trail leaves the fire road the fun really begins. The trail becomes treacherous single track with high peaks, trail cutting around Ponderosa Pine trees, a mile where the trail clings to a cliff with a very steep fall for the non-observant. Several times I had almost fell head first due to tree roots and trying to give room for the faster returning runners.
I'm fairly satisfied with my result, no injuries, completed my extra 7 miles for a total of 18 marathon training miles, and gained more experience with trail runs. I also should be able to maintain my 11th place position in the LVTC Competition Series.
That's enough for my blog right now, I'm totally exhausted and need a very long nap.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment