Daily Quote: "By running long, we provide the necessary stress to ensure maximum adaptation of our slow-twitch fibers. We weed out weak myofilaments, replacing them with stronger ones. And as fatigue sets in, we begin recruiting intermediate fibers, improving their endurance capacity and coordinating their use alongside the less force-generating slow-twitch fibers." --Pete Magill, Running Times Magazine, article "Recruit Every Fiber", September 2010, pg 56.
Today's workout is from the book, "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster," if you own the book I'm on the "Boston Marathon Qualifying Training Program For Men 45 To 49 (3:30)," Week 14, pg 229. I'm 58 years old and have already qualified for Boston twice in the past and don't plan on running Boston again soon, currently I'm striving for a personal record of 3:30, hence I'm training with this Men 45 to 49 (3:30) schedule.
Long Run. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a negative <2% decline. 17 miles @ 8:45 minute miles (6.9 MPH). Overall Time: 2:28. Average heart rate: 157 bpm. Cardiac drift: 171 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 188 bpm).
I'm a little alarmed how high my cardiac drift was today. My pace was only 45 seconds slower than my planned marathon race pace, but my heart was racing! Maybe I'm overtrained? Am I biting off more than I can chew? Is a 3:30 marathon too unrealistic for me? I'll continue on with my current marathon training schedule hoping that the next 14 weeks my body will adapt as to become stronger and faster before the 2010 Las Vegas Marathon.
I'm currently 176 pounds on a six foot frame, I believe my ideal marathon racing weight is around the range of 160-165 pounds, unfortunately my body feels very comfortable at my current weight...with more intense training during the next 14 weeks I should be much closer to my ideal weight. Once I become lighter my heart rate numbers should become lower.
My left plantar fasciitis is a little sore and has shown improvement, my right hip continues to stay healed, and thankfully have no additional injuries nor aches and pains. This morning's resting heart rate continues to be good at 42 bpm, therefore I doubt that I'm overtrained.
Tomorrow I plan on having a REST DAY!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment