Saturday, September 25, 2010

HOT 20 Miler On the Roads

Daily Quote: " "If you can't accept having to run less than your prescribed distance on a certain day, you're taking running too seriously." --Ross Judice, a runner and sports psychologist in Lafayette, Louisiana.

Today is my scheduled 20-miler, which according to my book, "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster," the pace should be 8:45 minute miles for those who are training for a 3:30 marathon...I have no intention of running at that speed as this will be my first 20 miler this season on the roads, and I'm intending to run slower as to acclimate to the uneven and harder surfaces.  Plus, Vegas is still too HOT!  I plan on running according to how my legs feel, but strive to keep an honest strong effort.

I started the run at 8:30 a.m., with the temperature already at 72 degrees and not a cloud in the sky, by the time I finished the temperature was 94 degrees.  I had carried three small bottles of Gatorade in my pack, which I emptied by mile 16.  I also prepared for the sunny day by lathering up on plenty of sunscreen, which was successful as I didn't have any sunburns whatsoever.

From home I ran south on Lindell, west on Harmon, south again to Hacienda (which is part or the Las Vegas Marathon course) and returned home via Rainbow Avenue and the bike trail along HWY 95.  The last four miles I was struggling with the heat and was concerned I wouldn't be able to complete the 20 miler, by some miracle I was able to finish the run standing. I need to get up even earlier for these long runs. 

No blisters, but my right hip is very sore, I'm currently icing it as I type this race report.  My right hip has been problematic, it's fine for several days, than hurts after a hard effort for a day, then is fine again.  I'll just keep a close eye on it and adjust my training schedule as needed.

My finishing time was 3:19:20, which was a slow pace of 9:58 minute miles.  I'm satisfied with the result considering the weather and this being my first Long Run on the roads this Fall (my first 20 miler this Fall was two weeks ago, but on the treadmill).  My average heart rate was 163 bpm and my cardiac drift was 177 bpm.  (Note, my maximum heart rate is 188 bpm)  My heart rates are too high, which I attribute this to the hot weather.  I should be able to run faster with less effort once the temperatures become cooler.

Eventually Vegas reached a high of 102 degrees today.  I see that the extended forecast for Monday and Tuesday is record high temperatures, doesn't matter as I plan on returning to the treadmill for the beginning of next week.  Next Sunday, October 3rd,  I'll be running the "Season 4 a Cure Cancer 5k" race, which is part of the Las Vegas Track Club competition series.  I'll write more about my plans for that upcoming race tomorrow.  I plan on resting tomorrow, but I still must bowl on Sunday night.

1 comment:

greentigress said...

Hi Bruce,

Great job on your 20 miles in the heat on the road surfaces,
yeah - that time will do ;-)

Kath