Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Intense Intervals

Daily Quote: "I run because it's so symbolic of life.  You have to drive yourself to overcome the obstacles.  You might feel that you can't.  But then you find your inner strength, and realize you're capable of so much more than thought." --Arthur Blank

I'm STILL a little sore from Saturday's 20 miler, but I'm somewhat ready for those dreaded intervals that are always painful.

Today's workout is from the book, "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster," if you own the book I'm on the "Boston Marathon Qualifying Training Program For Men 45 To 49 (3:30)," Week 12, pg 229. I'm 58 years old and have already qualified for Boston twice in the past and don't plan on running Boston again soon, currently I'm striving for a personal record of 3:30, hence I'm training with this Men 45 to 49 (3:30) marathon training schedule.

Precor treadmill set at a negative -2% decline.
2 mile warmup at 10 minute miles.
3 x 1600m @ 6:41 (1 min RI)
1 mile cooldown at 10 minute mile.

Average heart rate: 169 bpm.  Cardiac Drift: 185 bpm (Note, my maximum heart rate is 188 bpm.)  A very hard workout, with my cardiac drift very close to my maximum heart rate.  I haven't had my cardiac drift this high in a very long time, even my last 5k cross-country race my max was 184 bpm. 

How my body hates running intervals!  My body is quite sore, the typical culprits, my left plantar fasciitis, left hip and right lower back are complaining.  Not enough time today to take an ice bath, took two ibuprofens and rushed to work.  Tomorrow will be an active recovery day on the upright stationary cycle.

Today I sent my entry fee for this Saturday's "LVTC Forest Challenge 11 Miler," and hope to add an additional 7 miles as to complete my scheduled 18 miles for marathon training.

2 comments:

greentigress said...

sounds so Difficult!!
i could not do that...
i prefer fartlek, but i guess you are looking for results

greentigress said...

btw love your quote of the day!