Daily Quote: "At my current level I don't have the raw speed to support a 3:20 marathon. So before I set myself up for too ambitious goals I need to make some speed gains at the shorter distances. The McMillan Calculator is a pretty handy tool for figuring out training paces and setting races goals based on recent race times and various distances. But let me warn you: the calculator is just a tool, not a contract. So don't get your heart set on anything you may see there. Like it has been telling me based on my shorter races that I can run a 3:24 marathon. That hasn't happened yet. But to me this just means that if I can get faster at the shorter distances than I am now that I might see such a marathon eventually. " --Natalie from her blog, "The Negative Split."
I've been following Natalie's running progress for several years now and am quite impressed with her recent gains. She now owns a 20:49 5k personal record from last weekend and in March accomplished her first sub 3:30 marathon, to be exact a Chip Time of
3:29:51, at the 2009 Georgia Marathon! Once upon a time I was a tad faster runner than Natalie, but she has now left me in the dust. I, too, believe I should make some speed gains in shorter distances as to improve on my longer distances paces. Therefore, the next two months I'll be running shorter races as to improve on my fast twitch muscles.
I've decided my next race will be the "Runnin’ for the House 5k Run" on Saturday, May 16th! Proceeds to benefit Ronald McDonald House Charities® of Greater Las Vegas, a non-profit organization that provides temporary housing for families who travel to Las Vegas to receive medical treatment for their children. I've ran this race before, and it features feature a Runners Expo, Pancake Breakfast, Kids Carnival and Raffle as well as the typical running event t-shirt.
The last time I ran the "Runnin' for the House 5k Run" was on May 30, 2006 when I set a personal record of 22:49, a 7:21 minute per mile pace. I doubt I'll set a personal record this time as I haven't done much speed drills, but do have plenty of endurance due to my training for the failed "Labor of Love 50k Race." The race will probably be a sobering experience for me.
Today was a General Aerobic Run.
8:00 a.m. 8 miles. Time, 1:14. Overall pace, 9:15 minute miles. Out and back on Alta Road that's the primary bike route to Red Rock Canyon. Partly Cloudy, 74 degrees, Wind SW at 12 mph. Average rate, 143 bpm. Cardiac drift, 150 bpm. I'm still on medication, but I should be finished with the pills by tomorrow morning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Just come to think of doing a marathon in 3:30 This is like doing roughly 8 mph of 26 miles. Unbelievable!!! That's cool that you signed up for Ronald McDonald 5K race. Awesome!
That sounds like a great race and an even greater cause!
Oh I love 5k races, they are so much fun. Enjoy!
I think summer is the perfect time for shorter distances, good idea!
Hi what is your 5k pb?
I don't know if i missed something, sorry...
I bet speed training is pretty different from endurance training,
they must have to start your summer races at the crack of dawn ... huh?
Howdy greentigress!
My 5k Personal Record is 22:32 February 2007, which was the Third Annual President's Day. I don't do many 5k races, which I plan on changing soon!
Howdy Lifestudent!
Yup, most races are 6-7 a.m. as to escape the heat of Vegas heat. Today Vegas will have a high of 99 degrees!!!
Ronald McDonald houses are great. awesome cause. We had to use on the year my dad had a heart attack and was in the hospital in Shreveport.
I just ran a 5K and was happy with my time but it wasn't anywhere near you!
Post a Comment