Friday, May 1, 2009

Ended Running Streak

Daily Quote: "Those in the general running community who protest against the streak running philosophy make a valid argument, and they base it solely on overuse concerns. The body does need rest to recuperate and avoid injuries, just as the soul needs time to regenerate its spirit. However, with enough background and experience, streak runners can build in ongoing rest breaks into their running schedule without giving up their streaks. They can do this by running a slower pace or shorter distance at least once or twice each week." --John Strumsky

Yesterday I was forced to end my running streak due to my dental surgery (the last day I took off from running was February 14th). My dentist suggested that I have my wisdom tooth removed permanently as this has been getting infected routinely due to my weak jawline from previous fractures. I agreed to the procedure as this tooth has been very expensive throughout the years. Therefore, I didn't have enough time for both running, the dentist, and working 12-hours.

For a real eye-opener, the cost of my dentist visit was a whopping $1,715.00!! The following is a description of my bill:
  • Intravenous Sedation: $375.00
  • Surgery Remove Erupted Tooth: $375.00
  • Bone Graft Single Site: $520.00
  • Guided Tis Regen-Resorb: $495.00

You think that removing a tooth and two aspirins would be o.k.??? I doubt my dental insurance will cover most of the above listed expense and it's going to be tough for me to pay the difference as the recession is hitting the cab industry so very hard. I'll just do the best I can.

Today I did a short easy run as I'm a little wobbly from the sedatives I'm taking. Also, today I start my running streak again!!

8:00 a.m. Easy Run. 6 miles. Time, 58:01. Overall pace, 9:40 minute miles. Out and back on Torrey Pines Road (traverses the Las Vegas Marathon route). Clear, 67 degrees, wind E at 3 mph. Average heart rate, 141 bpm. Cardiac drift, 146 bpm. One nice thing about running this route so many previous times I can do it in a drug assisted haze.

Today's weather forecast for Las Vegas is partly sunny. Highs near 90. Light wind becoming south 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. This will be my first day for wearing cargo shorts to work!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow....what a bill! That is just crazy. Hope you are feeling better!

lifestudent said...

I got mine done a few years ago ... I wasnt running then, but if I was running - I can swear to you I wouldnt have been for a while, and I came out of it pretty easy!

greentigress said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
greentigress said...

I can't believe how expensive that is...
i had all 4 teeth out at once... i recommend walking for a few days!

Sherri said...

ouch, on the price. But we had our son's wisdom teeth out and it was about that much.