Daily Quote: "Ambitious personalities find it difficult, if not impossible, to do nothing but easy training. It seems such a waste of time. Yet, I've seen good runners turn pale and haggard from too much hard training. They were exhausted and refused to acknowledge it. Some contracted serious illnesses that took them permanently out of the competitive game. In my case, experience has taught me the value to taking time off. Now, recovery is just another necessary 'training' period, scheduled as a matter of course." --Brian Clarke, from his excellent book, "5k and 10k Training."
Only one more day of easy recovery running and then I can start training for my next 5k race. I've finally decided what race to run next! I have a few priorities, the race must be short, a 5k distance, due to the upcoming heat of Las Vegas. I would also like to run a course that's flat for a change as to offset the tough weather and should be one that I've ran before as not to be surprised or distracted on the tangents and can put my full focus on my race effort. My last two races I didn't really have a training period with the appropriate peaking, therefore, I would like at least 4-5 weeks to train before my race. Drum roll, my next race will be the "9th Annual 4th of July 5K Blast" that'll be held on Saturday, July 4th!!
Most of the above criteria has been met for the "9th Annual 4th of July 5k Blast," it's a 5k race that's run on a very flat course and is five weeks away. I've ran this Bunker Park course five times in the past and have set 5k PR's at Bunker Park twice! I now have a target race and can create a peaking and tapering schedule for this event...my 5k race training officially starts this Saturday.
Today is another day of active recovery from last Saturday's 10k race.
9:00 a.m. Recovery Run. Four miles. Time, 39:33. Overall pace, 9:53 minutes per mile. Out and back on Torrey Pines Road, which partially traverses the Las Vegas Marathon route. Partly Cloudy, 83 degrees with wind NW at 6 mph. Shoes: Nike Air Structures. Body feels very good and anxious to start training hard again...only one more day of recovery before I start my next training cycle!
Later, after work at 12:00 a.m., I plan on accomplishing a session of weight circuit training. I've been lagging on lifting weights and hope to become more consistent.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment