Daily Quote: "When the same athlete runs on a treadmill, centre of mass is static (at least in the forwards-backwards plane). There is no forward progress; instead, the running surface 'disappears' behind the athlete. In fact, the treadmill belt moves the athlete's legs and feet under and behind her centre of mass and, to preserve stability, their key task is to move the support leg back in front of the centre of mass in time for the impact with the treadmill belt. The key function of the leg muscles during treadmill running is not to produce propulsive forces but to re-position the legs so as to keep the centre of mass stable." --Owen Anderson, interesting article in "Peak Training" in regards to Treadmill Training.
Today is my scheduled 18-miler, which according to my book, "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster," the pace should be 8:30 minute miles for those who are training for a 3:30 marathon...I have no intention of running at that speed as I'm still weening myself off the treadmill and I'm intending to run slower as to acclimate to the uneven and harder surfaces. Also, my right hip has been causing me some aches lately and hope that running a more cautious speed will not make my hip situation worse.
What a difference a week makes in the weather! Last weekend the temperatures were over 100 degrees, this weekend the high will be around 85 degrees!! I started my run at 7:00 a.m. with sunny skies and a comfortable temperature of 69 degrees, at the end of my run it was 74 degrees...looking forward to even cooler temperatures in the upcoming weeks.
Out and back run on Jones Boulevard, which is relatively flat and was able to run most of my miles on asphalt. I was tempted to make a right turn on Hacienda Ave, which is part of the 2010 Rock n' Roll Las Vegas Marathon route, but it's a gradual climb and today wanted to adjust to the level roads first.
I started at a very easy pace of 9:50 minute miles, by nine miles my pace was 8:55 minute miles, was able to hit the target pace of 8:30 minute miles during miles 10-16, my right hip started aching around 17 miles and decided to gradually decrease my speed back to 9:50 mile during that last mile. Total time for 18 miles: 2:46:30, for the average pace of 9:15 minute miles. Didn't wear a heart rate monitor today as I strive to run by perceived effort and run according to how my hip feels.
Next weekend is another 20 miler, but at a faster pace of 8:30 minute miles...it's going to be very tough, but I think it's manageable.
Tomorrow is my Rest Day!! My right hip is sore and tomorrow will shop for the rubber roller that Wendy suggested last week. Currently I'm typing this report with an ice wrap around my right hip.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment