Friday, October 15, 2010

New Shoes!

Daily Quote: "It is a happy talent to know how to play." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

The downside of my current training using the book, "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster," and only running three times a week is that my training has been so regimented as I've lost the playfulness in my running.  I miss those lazy running days where I would explore the neighborhood and get lost in my thoughts. Sometimes I feel like my running is becoming more work than an escape from work, I'm losing my joy for running.

Yesterday I was in a funky mood and nothing helps raise the spirits as getting new running shoes! I purchased at the NIKE Outlet Store a pair of NIKE Lunarglides for only $59.97!  The color is a little radical, silver gray with fire orange trim, but I don't purchase running shoes for the color.  The Lunarglides will replace my New Balance 729 that has 510 miles on them.  I plan on running in the Lunarglides for my tempo training and intervals, while my NIKE Air Structures will be for my Long Runs.

Yesterday I also did my typical crosstraining, upright stationary cycling for 45 minutes and today is my Tempo Day.

As usual my workouts this Fall is from the book, "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster," if you own the book I'm on the "Boston Marathon Qualifying Training Program For Men 45 To 49 (3:30)," Week 8, pg 229. I'm 58 years old and have already qualified for Boston twice in the past and don't plan on running Boston again soon, currently I'm striving for a personal record of 3:30, hence I'm training with this Men 45 to 49 (3:30) marathon training schedule.

Precor Treadmill set at a negative -2% decline.
1 mile warmup at 10:00 minute mile.
4 miles @ 7:29 minute miles.
1 mile cooldown at 10:00 minute mile.

Average heart rate: 162 bpm.  Cardiac Drift: 176 bpm.  (Note: my maximum heart rate is 188 bpm)  I'm very happy with my heart rate during the tempo portion as the pace is very close to my 10k pace and felt a little less than moderately hard!  My right hip was slightly sore afterwards, but I also have a new ache, my right lower backside is also complaining. 

Today was my first day wearing NIKE Lunarglides and they felt similar to my ASICS DS Trainers, which are light and also promotes my running midfoot.  I plan on still using my ASICS DS Trainers for races as they only have 212 miles on them, but will eventually replace them with the NIKE Lunarglides.

This Saturday is my Long Run, which will be 20 miles on the roads!!

No comments: