Sunday, October 24, 2010

First Long Run For the Half-Marathon Training

Daily Quote:  "It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." --Edmund Hillary

Only six more weeks until the "2010 Rock n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon;" although today is my first Long Run for the half-marathon, I'm more than prepared as I've been training for the full marathon for the last 12 weeks!  This fall my training experience was that I can handle distances up to 16 miles, but after that my hip becomes too painful to safely continue. I should be able to handle the shorter training distances for a half marathon.  I fear if my half marathon training is also painful for my right hip flexor, I may have to change my goals again.

I'll be using the "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster" half marathon schedule on page 87. Since my pace for my last half marathon was 8:20 minutes per mile, my training paces will be set accordingly.  Today's pace calls for half marathon pace + 20 seconds per mile.  I intend to start conservatively as I build up speed for the planned pace.

Cloudy, temperature at 60 degrees, with little wind.  Out and back on Jones Boulevard.

Distance: 10 miles.
First three miles at around 9:20 minute per mile, the last seven miles were perfect...8:40 minute per miles as scheduled.

Average heart rate 151 bpm.  Cardiac drift 160 bpm. (Note my maximum heart rate is 188 bpm).  A moderate pace and felt just a little ache on my right hip flexor, no biggie as I completed my 10 miles strongly.

I can not be discouraged with lowering my upcoming race distance, must run according to what my body tells me.  Today is a new beginning of a new training goal and I'll keep looking forward and upward.

2 comments:

kizzy said...

Love this quote;

"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." --Edmund Hillary

--kizzy oakley

Allen said...

Hope your hip settles down. It will be at least a year before I do another half-marathon, and it will be pretty slow. I'm aiming for the local 5K in June that I've done in the past. As you're doing, I've had to change my goals, but, hey, we're still alive.