Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Foam Roller

Daily Quote: "Among my favorite yoga and exercise props or pieces of home equipment is the simple foam roller, largely due to its versatility. When rolled along tight muscles, it serves as a poor gal's massage. It also creates some great abdominal workouts, a la Pilates." --from the blog: "The World According to OM Gal."

My friend Wendy recommended my getting a foam roller for my sore hip, I was finally able to purchase a foam roller yesterday for $24.99 at Big Five Athletic Store.  The foam roller is by Altus and is longer than those marathon sticks I've seen at race expos, it's thick and is 24 inches in length.  Altus has a website at http://www.altusathletic.com/, which I can download multiple exercise routines, I just haven't found the time to do further research, although I have experimented with massaging my right hip by laying on it and rolling...it does seem to massage deep into the muscle and is not comfortable.  Hopefully, massaging my right hip will eventually heal whatever is going on with the aches.  I'll continue to do my other hip exercises as well and plan to do hip exercises plus hip massages after my work day.

Talking about soreness, today is Interval Day!

As usual my workouts this Fall is from the book, "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster," if you own the book I'm on the "Boston Marathon Qualifying Training Program For Men 45 To 49 (3:30)," Week 8, pg 229. I'm 58 years old and have already qualified for Boston twice in the past and don't plan on running Boston again soon, currently I'm striving for a personal record of 3:30, hence I'm training with this Men 45 to 49 (3:30) marathon training schedule.

Precor Treadmill set at a negative -2% decline.
2 mile warmup at 10:00 minute miles.
1600m @ 6:41 (400m RI).
3200m @ 13:42 (800m RI).
2 x 800m @ 313 (400m RI).
1 mile cooldown at 10:00 minute mile .

Average heart rate: 174 bpm.  Cardiac drift: 183 bpm.  (Note: my maximum heart rate is 188 bpm)  Another tough interval session that left me totally exhausted and right hip sore.  I'm not looking forward to leaving for work in such a depleted condition, working 12-hour shifts should be illegal!

Today sent my advanced entry fee for the "Max Muscle Marathon Tune-up 10K," which is on November 13th.  This race is part of the Las Vegas Track Club Competition Series that I'm currently ranked in 10th place.  The entry fee is high, $30.00 thru 10/15/10, $40.00 thru 11/12/10, $45.00 Race Day.  The race does have a pancake breakfast, goodie bags, awards, and music for race participants, but I prefer just to race and the "extras" are nice, but would be happier to pay a lower entry fee. 

Only eight more weeks until the "2010 Rock n' Roll Las Vegas Marathon!!"

No comments: