Monday, January 28, 2008

12 Weeks Until Boston

Daily Quote: "Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." --Patti Sue Plumer, U.S. Olympian.

Contrary to the above quote, my decision for a Tempo Run rather than a Long Run hadn't been made until I awoke. My body was still a bit tired from a busy weekend for running long, but a fast tempo run might be my cup of tea.

Tempo Run. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. Warm-up: 2 miles @ 6.0 mph (10 minute miles). Tempo: 3 miles @ 7.9 mph (7:36 minute miles). Cool-down: 1 mile @ 6.0 mph. Average heart rate: 160 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 183 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) My heart rate was a little high for a threshold run, and the last 1/2 mile was very tough with plenty negative thoughts of stopping peppering the run...I felt a sense of tremendous achievement once I finished, that I did a job well done. I wore my heavier stability shoes, "New Balance 845," and believe my heart rate would have been lower with my lighter racing shoes, "ASICS DS Gel Trainers."

12 WEEKS UNTIL BOSTON MARATHON REPORT, JANUARY 21-27, 2008

Finished fourth week of Boston Marathon Training and ran a total of 32 miles. I'm still following the guidelines of "FIRST Training Program" as explained in "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster" book and happy to report that I've continued the workouts exactly as written! Last week I did my first 20 miler for the spring season and felt strong and confident.

I'm 176 pounds on a six foot frame and haven't gained nor lost any weight last week...I've hit a weight plateau where my body feels very comfortable at its current weight. I'm going to have to slash more calories...I tend to pig out on the weekends, therefore this coming weekend I'll be more disciplined with my diet.

I've completed three weight circuit training sessions last week. I'm now using free weights for biceps, triceps and shoulders rather than the usual machine workouts, I still use machines for the other muscle groupings. Next week I'll experiment using free weights for the chest press. I may need a trainer to show me how to properly lift free weights, especially for the chest press, which I'm a little intimidated.

I slept well last week with the exception of Saturday night when I stayed up to late playing on the computer and getting up early as to watch my first live Pro Bowling Tournament, managed five hours of sleep that night. Otherwise I've slept at least eight hours every night. My morning heart rates have remained low, 38-41 bpm.

A short recap of last week's training:
Monday: Tempo Run, 6 miles.
Tuesday: Cross-training, weight circuits and stationary cycling.
Wednesday: Long Run, 20 miles.
Thursday: Cross-training, weight circuits and stationary cycling.
Friday: Intervals, 5x1000 meters, 6 miles.
Saturday: Rest Day.
Sunday: Cross-training, weight circuits and stationary cycling.
Total Mileage: 32 miles.

4 comments:

AddictedToEndorphins said...

Boston is right around the corner! How are you liking the Running 3 days a week?

robison52 said...

Hi Tiger! Well, it's a love/hate relationship with running three days a week, I love the fact I can cross-train more, sleep more, and my ankles are recovering well from the stresses of last fall's training...BUT, I miss the adrenaline rush of running everyday, it's easier to gain weight when I'm not running 90 miles a week, and I just don't get the "high" from marathon training like I did last fall. I often wonder if just three quality runs per week will actually improve my marathon result...the proof will be in the pudding!!

Anonymous said...

I've used the FIRST half marathon plan successfully in the past and really liked it, but right now I'm using Matt Fitzgerald's "Brain Training for Runners" plan for my spring half marathon, which requires a lot more running.

Although it's going well, I'm considering going back to FIRST for my fall marathon just because I'm not sure I'll be able to put in all the miles that would be required by "Brain Training". So I'll be curious to see how FIRST works out for you at Boston. Good luck!

robison52 said...

Howdy kch! I've seen the book "Brain Training for Runners" in the local bookstore and does look interesting...maybe I'll use that schedule for a training change this coming fall!?! I enjoy high mileage running, but the FIRST Training Program is a refreshing change of "pace."