Daily Quote: "In a country where only men are encouraged, one must be one's own inspiration." --Tegla Loroupe, Kenya, 1994 New York City Marathon Champion.
The organizer and director of the majority of races in Las Vegas, Dan Campbell (Dan the Running Man) of the Las Vegas Running Team suffered a brain aneurysm and is in the SICU at UMC. Races this spring are on hold. I had planned on racing again the "President's Day 5k" on February 16th, but it is canceled. Oh well, maybe I'll race a 5k in March. My regular periodization plan of racing short 5k races in the spring should be on hold anyway as I'm in training for the 2008 Boston Marathon, but thought just one 5k race would be a nice change of pace. Get well soon Dan, my prayers are with you.
Today's 15th Week Long Run from "Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster" 3:40 Goal Marathon Training (pg 235) calls for 15 miles @ 9:08 minute miles. The closest I can get to that pace on the treadmill is 6.6 mph that's 9:06 minute miles, two seconds per mile less than scheduled should be close enough.
15 miles. Time: 2:16. Pace: 9:06 minute miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at 1% grade. All 15 miles at 6.6 mph (9:06 minutes miles) Average heart rate: 162 bpm. Cardiac drift: 173 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm). Brought only one bottle of water, which was barely sufficient, will bring an extra bottle of water next Long Run. No soreness, nor pain, just the normal fatigue of running long. I always feel euphoric after accomplishing a Long Run goal, and today was no exception!! 15 miles is my longest run since December's marathon and I'm surprised I'm already running this mileage so soon and without any problems. I'm bubbling over with confidence. I'm looking forward to a nice vigorous cross-training routine tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment