Daily Quote: "There are no shortcuts to any place worth going." --Beverly Sills.
Today's "FIRST" Training Program's 13 Weeks until Boston Marathon schedule, calls for a 20 miler at 9:23 minute miles. Unfortunately the closest setting to 9:23 I can get on a treadmill is 9:22 (6.4 mph) minute miles, but running just one second faster per mile shouldn't be a problem.
9:30 a.m. Life Fitness Treadmill set at 1% grade. Total Time: 3:07. All 20 miles at 6.4 mph (9:22 minute miles).
Average heart rate: 158 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 169 bpm. Drank a 32 ounce bottle of Gatorade during the run. Gym was quite warm at 76 degrees, which undoubtedly affected my cardiac drift. Small blister on left foot's small toe; I believe was due to sock getting slightly bunched up, otherwise no aches nor pain during or after the run.
Tough run, but not because of the effort, only because the treadmill is becoming so very boring and I had to fight negative thoughts of quitting. I prefer running indoors because it's a safer option than running outside, I don't need to stop at busy intersections and I can easily stay on projected pace easier. Nevertheless, next week calls for an 18 mile run and I'll be running outside as to break the monotony, the temperature will be much cooler, and it'll closely simulate running on the roads in Boston.
This 20 mile run is the first of FIVE planned 20 milers. The book, "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster," has the rest of my training's long runs progress as follows: 18, 20, 13, 18, 20, 15, 20, 15, 20, 13, 10, and Marathon Day!
It's going to be tough working 12-hours tonight driving my cab, but at least I'll be off my feet, I'll just be very tired. The "World of Concrete" is a bust, wasn't near the 80,000 conventioneers, I doubt if we had 20,000 of them...the slow economy is affecting Las Vegas convention business.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Bruce,
Hang in there. Looks like your training is coming along real well. Your heart rate loooked great for a 20 mile run!
-Joe
Howdy Joe! The pace was rather pedestrian for me, therefore my heart rate was lower than last year's long runs that were at a faster pace. I did notice in the book that my future20 milers will get progressively faster.
By the way, when are you going to start updating your blog...we need to keep you accountable too!!
Post a Comment