Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Meet My Radiologist

Daily Quote: "Dr. Sheehan was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1986. By the time it was discovered it had spread to his bones. For seven years he lived with the cancer, and 'made every day count.' He was a runner to the core and he would not let the cancer change that. He ran until his legs could no longer carry him. Through it all, he remained true to himself, continuing to write about his experiences. This time it wasn't about running, it was about dying. Going the Distance was his last book. It was published shortly after his death."  --from GeorgeSheehan.com, http://www.georgesheehan.com/welcome/bio.html

I'll need to re-read the book "Going the Distance" during my own cancer fight as to keep me motivated to push myself forward.  Dr. Sheehan is a great role model for me!

Today is the first day I meet my Radiologist, Paul K. Treadwell;  I read his bio at the 21st Century Oncology website, which stated:

Paul K. Treadwell, MD, Board Certified in Radiation Oncology, received a Bachelor of Science with honors from the University of California. He graduated from medical school at the University of Nevada with a Cerficicate of Distinction in Surgery. He did his residency at the University of California, Irvine. During his residency Dr. Treadwell received the American Cancer Society Clinical Fellowship Award and served as Chief Resident for two years.
Before relocating to Las Vegas, Dr.Treadwell was the Associate Head of Radiation Oncology at St. Joseph Hospital and Children's Hospital of Orange County and was a Clinical Professor in Radiation Oncology at the UNiverisity of California, Irvine. Dr. Treadwell is a member of the American Medical Association. Dr. Treadwell's special interests include breast and gynecological cancers and Hodgkins lymphoma.
He is a member of the American College of Radiation Oncology (ACRO).




Hi bio gave me confidence he was competent enough to be one of my Knights in my struggle to beat cancer.  His photo was obviously taken when he was much younger, as the man has grown heavier and grayer. 

The following is a gist of my consultation with Dr. Treadwell at 21st Century Oncology at 8:00 a.m. on March 30th.  Completed several pages of paperwork.  Was taken to a very small room where the doctor's assistant took my blood pressure.  A few minutes later Dr. Treadwell entered and sat down across from me and was rather blunt about my throat cat scan, that I have squamous-cell carcinoma.  He proceeded to check out my lungs with his stethoscope.  After my quick checkup, I asked what will be my treatment? The chemo-radiation treatment will take about eight weeks and consist of 40 treatments.  Dr. Treadwell stated that the success rate of the chemo-radiation treatment is about 75-80% and much better than the alternative of cutting out my tongue, which I readily agreed!



He strongly suggested that I take a medical leave of absence from work as the treatments are very tough, the last three weeks of treatment are particularly difficult.  Unfortunately, I can't afford to take that much time off from work and told him I prefer to struggle through the process of working and taking treatments.  Trying to deter me he mentioned a previous patient who was a security guard in tremendous physical condition rippling with muscles who also wanted to work during the treatment weeks, but eventually had to quit his job as the treatments were just too tough for him.  He didn't realize that his little story sounded like a challenge to me, and had me repeating that I was not going to take a leave of absence from work.

I mentioned that I work from 12:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. and my treatments must be in the mornings.  He stated their are no guarantees when the treatments are scheduled.  Oh well, the treatments only take 15 minutes, not including the waiting room time, I could visit the radiologist when I'm working and treat it like a lunch break...I wish the doctor's office wasn't so far off the Strip.

The side effects during chemo will be that my saliva will be thicker, will need to eat through a feeding tube and I will not be able to taste for four months! 

I asked when do we start my treatments.  I had several projects before treatment:

(1) Need dentist approval as to not have any root canals exposure...the radiation could eat my jaw and teeth resulting in partial or total removal of my jaw.  The dentist also has to retrieve for me a flouride brace (I have no clue what it is) and will use the flouride for the rest of my life.

(2) Southwest Medical will need to provide me a feeding tube and will need instructions on how to use and clean it.

(3) I must have a PET Scan as to see if my cancer has spread or if cancer is still isolated above my neck.  I have a PET Scan already scheduled for April 1st at Steinberg Diagnosic.

(4) Approval from my HMO, which sometimes takes two weeks!  My insurance does like to drag things.

The consultation only took about 15 minutes and then I went immediately to the gym and ran six miles (at 6.0 mph, 1% grade) on the treadmill before work.  Called my dentist and made a consultation appointment for Monday, April 4th, 9:15 a.m.  It was an exhausting day, but feels great that I'm finally beginning to start my fight against cancer.

My next post will be about my PET Scan.  Bare with me, I'm a little behind due to time restraints.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I am glad you felt comfortable with your dr. I think that helps a lot.

Chemo can be tough. I will be think positive thoughts for you and your family.