Sunday, March 20, 2011

Base Building, March 14-20, 2011

Daily Quote: "Multipace training is, of course, the key to top performance regardless of your target race distance.  But that's not the only reason to regularly do all sorts of workouts, from long runs and basic speed sessions to slow recovery runs and tempo workouts.  There's no better way to keep your running interesting than to have peaks and valleys of intensity and duration woven throughout the weeks."  --Scott Douglas, Running Times Magazine, "Scott's Original Miscellany" March 2011, pg 49.

A week of waiting on my throat condition.  Last Monday morning my Ear, Nose & Throat doctor, Dr O'Donnel, had taken a small piece of the lump from my throat for a biopsy, I haven't received the results of the biopsy so far.  I had also scheduled a CAT scan for my throat area, but Southwest Medical is still awaiting for approval from my HMO.

I'm currently 175.8 pounds on my six foot frame.  Not much of a weight loss last week, which I'm not surprised as I reduced my training, but kept eating approximately the same amount of food.

Last week was a recovery week, when I reduce my weekly mileage and intensity as to allow my body to recuperate.  I strive to have a recovery week every fourth week of training.  My mileage was only 23 miles last week and also eliminated the exhausting and time consuming swimming from my routine.  I'll probably add swimming back to my crosstraining next week.

All my runs last week were at an easy aerobic pace of 60-70% of my maximum heart rate, which for me is around 9-10 minute miles.  Next week I plan on adding a hill workout to my weekly routine.


Monday: Easy Run, 3 miles.
Tuesday: Easy Run, 4 miles. Upper body weight circuit training.
Wednesday: REST DAY
Thursday: Easy Run, 3 miles.
Friday: Easy Run, 4 miles. Upper body weight circuit training.
Saturday: Easy Run, 6 miles. Cycling, 30 minutes.
Sunday: Easy Run, 3 miles.
Total Weekly Mileage: 23 miles.

No comments: