Daily Quote: "Become a student of the sport. It ruins none of the magic of self-discovery to learn that thousands of others have gone before you and experienced every challenge and joy that you have. Take advantage of the lessons others have drawn from their mistakes so that you don't have to repeat them." --Scott Douglas, Running Times Magazine, "Scott's Original Miscellany" March 2011, pg 51.
Yesterday, during work, I received a cell phone call from my Ear, Nose, Throat specialist, Dr. O'Donnel, in regards to the results of the biopsy of my tongue. I have cancer. Since I was driving my cab at the time of the conversation we both felt I should call his office this morning. I called his office and couldn't reach him, therefore left a message and currently waiting for his call.
Also yesterday, Southwest Medical Radiology finally called my home answering machine in regards to scheduling my throat cat scan. Called their number, and they put me on their answering machine, left a message and waiting for their call too.
Appears I won't be running this morning as I wait for phone calls. Will need to leave for work by 11:20 a.m. This week is a busy cab week due to the large "Concrete World Convention" as well as hordes of students on spring break. I'm physically and emotionally exhausted.
I'm still in a bit of shock and have thousands of questions to ask my doctor. It doesn't seem fair does it? I'm a healthy weight, never smoked, exercise regularly and now I have cancer....most of my family smoke like chimneys, are obese, have a variety of unhealthy habits, yet they are o.k.
Since I'm waiting, I'll start googling "throat cancer" and begin my new battle...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Bruce, I'm really saddened to hear your bad news. Please keep us informed about the diagnosis and your progress. I'm especially interested to know if it's an internal cancer or a skin cancer.
It doesn't seem fair, but life is like that. We don't understand all the factors that cause some to have cancer and others to not have it. This is a trial, a test, that you'll be going through. It's your decision as to which will be the victor in this trial -- you or the cancer. The cancer is fighting to destroy your body. You are fighting to do what you and medical science can do to destroy the cancer, but above all to keep your positive attitude about life such that regardless of what happens you'll continue to be a positive influence among your family, friends, and people you meet in your cab. I have full confidence, Bruce, that you'll be the victor in this battle! Cancer may or may not defeat your body, but it won't defeat your mind, your outlook, your attitude, the real you!
I wish you the best.
You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
So sorry to read this news, I'm sending positive healing vibes your way!
Bruce, I'm so upset to hear this news... life indeed can be so unfair, but when you think about it, no-one deserves this kind of news. It's just that those of us who live a healthy active life feel we are paying our dues to fate and are somehow 'safer'....
One of the things I love about your posts on the forum and your blog, is your positive attitude to everything...KEEP that attitude - it'll help you a lot with this battle ahead.
You'll be constantly in my thoughts.
I'm so sorry Bruce …
You said you have had the biopsy of your tongue. Why? What symptoms did you have before the biopsy?
One more thing Bruce …
You should know if this is about tongue and if this lesion is small without spreading around to the lymphatic nodes of the neck your prognosis is EXCELLENT!!!!
Wishing you all the best ... and that those spring breakers are gone before driving you out of your mind.
I'm sure you are in a rough state, but optimism and faith appear to be the center of any successful battle with the big C. I'm sure you will see better days soon.
Post a Comment