Daily Quote: "CT scans and MR scans can give us excellent photographs of different parts of the body, and identify enlarged nodes or tumor masses. However, sometimes it is difficult to tell whether a lump or mass in the body actually has tumor cells in it only by measuring its size and shape. Small lumps or nodes may contain cancer cells, while larger ones may just be something harmless. That is when you need to measure the activity of the mass. And a PET scan is the answer." --Indranil Mallick, M.D., former About.com Guide, Lymphoma site.
My appointment for my first PET Scan was held at Steinberg Diagnositcs at 7:30 a.m. The PET scan was very similar to my previous CT Scan for my chest and the CT Scan for my throat. I had to eat 4-6 hours before the scan time, and not do any strenuous physical activity before the scan, since my appointment was so early in the morning had no problem fasting nor running.
I checked in at exactly on schedule, but still had to do about 20 minutes of paperwork, my co-pay was huge, $750.00, to be paid before the PET Scan!! I'm concerned that I will be flat broke after 18 weeks of therapy, which consists of 40 treatments. I'm worried that the financial burden may be to much stress for my wife.
Finally I was led to a small room with a large leather recliner. A small amount of radioactive material (small enough to be essentially harmless), was injected an hour before the scan was done. I was told to recline in the chair and not move around. I immediately fell asleep in the chair as I waited...I'm not a morning person.
I was then taken to the bathroom and was told to change into a gown. Went to another room, which had this huge scanner, laid down and was told the scanner will photo most of my body, but will stop at my ankles. The PET scan itself lasted about 45 minutes, which I fell asleep again. Once the scan was over I dressed and left the clinic in about 10 minutes.
Decided to do my run before work rather than waiting until after work. Bought a large bottle of Gatorade as I plan on flushing the radioactive material from my bloodstream during the gym workout. I ran on my gym's treadmill for 60 minutes at 6.0 mph (10 minute miles) on a 1% grade. I did feel lightheaded on the treadmill, but was happy to complete the run now rather than 12 hours later. I believe I accomplished the goal of flushing my bloodstream.
My PET Scan results are so very important to me, I hope that my cancer is limited to my neck and tongue and hasn't spread to my lower organs. The actor, Michael Douglas, also had throat cancer recently and his cancer didn't spread to the lower body and he's now in total remission. I would be thrilled with that outcome!
I won't know the results of my PET Scan until two business days. My doctors should have the results by next Tuesday or Wednesday. Next Tuesday I'll have my very first visit with my oncologist at the Cancer and Blood Specialists of Nevada. I also have a consultation with my Dentist on Monday. I hope to have a food tube connected to my stomach soon. Next week will be a very traumatic and busy week!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I'm glad that's one more ordeal completed that you can cross off your list, Bruce. This waiting game is awful, though.
I can't understand why you should have this huge financial burden when you already have medical insurance.... it seems immensely unfair. Just let me assure you, though, that your wife will be wholly focused on what you are going through, rather than the financial burden to come.... and these things have a way of working themselves out..... don't stress yourself and just do what you have to do to get well.
Hang in there buddy and think about Lance Armstrong too …
Just when you thought life is good to you, something disastrous happened.You can choose to give up and let life’s challenges get you down. Or you can decide to fight it and savour the sweet aftertaste of victory!
Lance Armstrong decided to fight!
"Through my illness I learned rejection. I was written off. That was the moment I thought, Okay, game on. No prisoners. Everybody's going down." (Lance Armstrong)
Bruce-I've been thinking of you a lot lately, hoping for the best possible outcome for you. Hang in there, my friend-tough times ahead, but you can get through this, one day at a time.
Wishing you luck!
Post a Comment